Micro Focus Server license database on network drive

Net Express / Server Express

Net Express (for Windows) and Server Express (for Linux and UNIX) are highly productive COBOL development environments, enabling developers to produce high performance enterprise applications to run on a wide range of hardware and operating systems.

Micro Focus Server license database on network drive

This question is answered

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 January 2012]

I am trying to setup Micro Focus Server (Server for COBOL) on 2 PC, with the license database on PC1,
as described in http://documentation.microfocus.com:8080/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.microfocus.eclipse.help.windows%2Fhtml%2Fthlice06.htm

On the first one, PC1, I have installed Micro Focus Server and created a license database in c:\mfaslmf
Then I shared the folder granting everyone full permissions.
On the second one, PC2 I've installed Micro Focus Server and pointed the license database to \\PC1\mfaslmf,
and I've created an environment variable ASLMFNET that also points to this location.

I can run my application on both PCs, so they both have access to the database.
However, when I run AppTrack.exe on PC2 to check the number of licenses in use, the number is 0!
If I run AppTrack on PC1 (the uses the database as local) it says 1 license in use
- eventhough the application is running on two PCs by two different users!

I've also tried placing the database on a proper network drive - then both PCs says 0 licenses in use...

What am I missing :) ?

Cheers
Verified Answer
  • There is no way to get an accurate count of total licenses in use when you are using Network licensing for the Server product on Windows.

Only the licenses used by the applications which are actually running on the computer where the License Manager service is running will appear in the count.

The ASLMFNET environment variable was added to make deployment easier in a network environment with the tradeoff that the audit of licenses in use across the network would not be possible.

The only way to get an accurate count of licenses in use is to install the License Manager service on each computer which is running your application and to install a license database locally on each one.

You would then need to check licenses in use on each individual computer and total the count.
All Replies
  • I'm using Micro Focus Server 5.1 WebPrack4, and Windows Server 2003... (same result on Win7)
  • When using ASLMFNET environment variable to obtain licenses the licensing code does not contact the license server to get a license, it goes direct to the file.

Apptrack connects to the license server to get the stats of what is running. Processes that get a license directly do not show up in the stats.

To see stats on PC2 you need to install a separate license locally on that machine.
  • OK.
    How do I monitor how many licenses that are in use then ?
    Cheers,
    And thanks for the quick reply !
  • Your best options for PC2 would be to not use the environment variable ASLMFNET and run aslmpclocate and set the location of the database mflmwin uses to the network share.
    Then PC2 will use the license server and it's usages will be displayed in apptrack.
  • I think I tried that on the Win7 setup - and got an error when starting the application.

anyway on my Win2003Server setup (PC1 and PC2) I can start the application on PC2 - without the ASLMFNET variable, and aslmpclocate pointing to PC1 - BUT the count is still not working. If I run apptrack on PC1 it says 0 and if I run apptrack on PC2 it says 1 :(
    If I run the application on both PCs it says 1 license in use on both PC - instead of 2!

ASLMPCLOCATE on PC1 points to c:\mfaslmf and on PC2 it points to \\PC1\mfaslmf (that is shared with everyone granted full access)

Any ideas ?
  • Hi,
    Just tried to remove the ASLMFNET Env. variable on the windows 7 PCs. If I run ASLMPCLOCATE it points to the license database on the network drive.
    But when I start the Application I get this error:
    No License is installed for Micro Focus Server. Either install a license key using Apptrack or contact your system administrator or your application supplier.

Apptrack can show me the license (option 1) and states I have one license for 10 users - but selecting option 2, the license list is empty.

- using the ASLMFNET variable - the application runs - but makes it impossible to find out how many licenses are in use !!
  • There is no way to get an accurate count of total licenses in use when you are using Network licensing for the Server product on Windows.

Only the licenses used by the applications which are actually running on the computer where the License Manager service is running will appear in the count.

The ASLMFNET environment variable was added to make deployment easier in a network environment with the tradeoff that the audit of licenses in use across the network would not be possible.

The only way to get an accurate count of licenses in use is to install the License Manager service on each computer which is running your application and to install a license database locally on each one.

You would then need to check licenses in use on each individual computer and total the count.
  • Thanks for clearing this out.
    Cheers