What’s New in 14.02
UFT and LeanFT 14.02 introduces a rich lineup of new features and technologies. These new features reflect today’s growing technology demands while also boosting usability and efficiency of our customers’ testing experience. For the purpose of this blog, we will focus on the key features with the strongest potential to improve your overall productivity and utilization.
Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
UFT has long provided the flexibility to mirror months-long development cycles of the past with the realities of the present. With the release of 14.02, we’ve extended UFT’s flexibility even further with a blend of cloud, data-centric, mobile, and technology-driven enhancements.
1. Testing in the Cloud
With the launch of our new StormRunner Functional (SRF) cloud testing solution, UFT 14.02 naturally supports its cutting-edge technologies by providing intelligent ground-to-cloud test execution from the desktop to a hybrid lab. This means, UFT users have the ability to:
- Run web and mobile tests remotely in the cloud, just as they would locally
- Upload web and mobile tests to use as assets for SRF tests
- Test against almost any device and browser without creating a test lab
- View run results in both UFT and SRF
In addition to SRF, UFT also supports Amazon WorkSpaces, a fully managed, secure Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) solution powered by AWS. With just a few clicks, you can easily provision virtual, cloud-based Microsoft Windows desktops for your teams or users. This provides them with access to UFT and the resources they need from anywhere, anytime, on any supported device.
2. Web Technologies
UFT has long provided an unparalleled breadth of 40 supported technologies. In version 14.02, UFT’s tool belt has grown even larger with the addition of several web technologies:
- Shadow DOM: Polymer’s method of combining multiple DOM trees into one hierarchy, which interacts together to enable better composition of the DOM (website)
Aside from web technologies, we also added support for Windows 10 version 1709, Microsoft Dynamics 2016, XenDesktop 7.8, updates for GWT and jQuery, and many more. Check out UFT’s “What’s New” section to see the complete list of supported software.
3. Data Extraction from AUTs
UFT’s Test Combinations Generator (TCG) tool now supports an additional method for generating values, similar to modern data extraction techniques. In short, this method pulls in a list of data values directly from the AUT you are testing. From there, you can either select the specific values you want to include in your data set, or even allow TCG to select values randomly for you. To see this in action, check out our short movie on the UFT Help Center.
4. Visual Relation Identifiers (VRI) for Mobile
UFT now provides a new mobile identification mechanism that is particularly helpful in situations where developers do not have testability in mind (e.g. not providing IDs for elements, two copies of a logo or multiple buttons with the same label, etc.).
Visual Relation Identifiers (VRI) allow users to identify similar objects—much like a human tester would—by using visual neighboring objects to pinpoint your objects. This capability helps create more stable tests that withstand predictable changes to the application's UI.
In version 14.02, LeanFT continues on the journey to strengthen its rich feature set and integrations. It provides additional capabilities to enable you to automate your functional tests efficiently and integrate test automation into your development and CI processes seamlessly.
1. Testing in the Cloud
In the corresponding section above, we introduced the use cases and benefits of using UFT with our new cloud-based testing offering, StormRunner Functional (SRF). Similarly, those use cases and benefits are relevant and supported by LeanFT. This means you can integrate LeanFT into your CI while using SRF cloud environments—rather than having to use your local lab.
Furthermore, you can:
- Run tests remotely against any mobile device and any browser without creating a test lab
- Upload tests to SRF and run them on different cloud environments
In addition, you can create LeanFT tests directly in SRF simply by recording them in your browser. By default, any recorded test in SRF will become a LeanFT test.
2. Cucumber Integration
Cucumber is the newest addition to the family of frameworks that LeanFT integrates with. It’s arguably the most popular behavior-driven-development (BDD) framework because of how it enables software development and management teams to collaborate better by using its shared tools and processes.
In this version, LeanFT provides native integration with Cucumber in a number of ways:
- IDE plugins for Eclipse and IntelliJ allow you to create Cucumber projects in your IDE with a few easy clicks that are ready for automation
- A Cucumber-oriented run report is automatically created while running testing projects, which allows multiple stakeholders (business and technical) easily analyze the run results
3. Extended Technology Support
LeanFT continuously extends its support to more IDEs, test frameworks, technologies, form factors, and operating systems with every release. Version 14.02 is no exception. For example, LeanFT now supports:
- Spring Tool Suite: Eclipse-based IDE plugin, which extends our support beyond traditional IDEs—Visual Studio, Eclipse, IntelliJ (website)
- Linux openSUSE: A popular Linux distro that boosts our existing support for Windows, Mac, and several other Linux distros (website)
- JavaFX: Java UI framework that expands our support offering for all common technologies—web, mobile, desktop (website)
In addition, beginning with version 14.02, the full LeanFT Product Availability Matrix is easily accessible from our Help Center.
4. Usability and Integration
LeanFT 14.02 also includes a number of additional improvements:
- Test recording improvements
- Mobile testing improvements
- Tighter integration with Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) and Business Process Testing (BPT)
- Mac and Linux improvements for enhancing the user experience to match that of Windows
To see the full list of everything this release has to offer, check out the “What’s New” LeanFT Online Help.
While this blog covers a subset of our functionality, more details about this and other new features will be covered in upcoming blogs and webinars.
Download and try UFT or LeanFT free for 60-days from the following locations:
- For Evaluating Customers: Try UFT or Try LeanFT
- For Partners: Software Partner Central for Authorized Software Partners
- For Employees: eSoftware for Software Internals
To learn more about UFT, LeanFT, and StormRunner Functional, visit us at:
(Special thanks to Tal Halperin Dayan and Yossi Rachelson for their contributions!)