Using Multiple Monitors on SoftICE

0 Likes

Problem:

How do I setup SoftICE to display on my second video adapter/monitor?

Resolution:

Windows 98/ME and Windows 2000/XP support multiple display devices. SoftICE supports the following configurations:

1)Monochrome cards

2)Same monitor full screen VGA

3)Second monitor full screen VGA

4)Universal Video Driver (UVD) mode

When Windows extended desktop feature is enabled, SoftICE can display in UVD mode on any monitor. When Windows extended desktop feature is disabled, SoftICE can display on mono card or second VGA card. UVD mode gives you the flexibility to switch SoftICE to any monitor on the runtime, and VGA text mode gives you the feature of watching system debug messages on the runtime.

Multiple Monitor UVD mode:

In Windows control panel, enable 'Extend my Windows desktop on this computer' on your second video adapter in Windows control panel. Reboot. Run the SoftICE video setup program and check UVD option. Reboot.

When the Universal Video Driver is in use, it is possible to tell SoftICE which monitor to use.

- For Windows 9x/Me:

Add a new line to WINICE.DAT such as this: (not in INIT string)

MONITOR=1

SoftICE can not switch to another monitor in the runtime under Windows 9x/Me. It needs to reboot to take effect setting changes.

- For Windows NT/2000/XP:

Add a new command to WINICE.DAT INIT string such as this:

Set Monitor 1

After SoftICE is loaded, you can dynamically switch between monitors when SoftICE is popped up. To do this, you need to issue the "Set Monitor n" command (where "n" is one of the monitors listed when you issue the "Set Monitor" command with no additional parameters).

Primary display monitor number is 0. Other numbers (0, 1, 2, etc) can be used to select the desired display monitor.

Prior to DriverStudio 2.5, in the video setup phase of the installation, be sure to select the device being used as the primary video card. For example, if you're using an S3 card as the primary display and an ATI card as the secondary display, tell SoftICE to use the S3 card.

When using the UVD option, you must always select Standard VGA in the SoftICE Display Adapter Setup application.

After performing any of the following: changing resolution, monitor position, primary monitor, extending windows desktop, installation of a video card, removal of a video card. You must run SoftICE Display Adapter Setup, click on the test button, and then restart your machine.

Second VGA text mode:

To run SoftICE on one of the monitor in VGA text mode, the first thing to do is to identify the video adapter that is VGA enabled. This video adapter, called the primary display adapter, is the device that is active at system boot time. On most computers, AGP or onboard video adapters are usually the primary display adapter and PCI are usually second. Some new BIOS provide an option in BIOS setting to change the default primary display adapter. If you have two PCI video cards and want to move the VGA from one card to another, you must swap the cards inside the machine. Also note that some older system BIOS won't allow the AGP card to become the VGA-enabled card. The first video adapter in Windows control panel does not always truly represent the correct primary display adapter. Certain video cards can be VGA enabled/disabled by hardware jumpers on the video card.

Once the primary display (VGA enabled) adapter is identified, it has to be reserved for SoftICE and Windows has to be configured to run on second video adapter. On second video adapter:

a)'Use this device as the primary monitor' must be CHECKED.

b)'Extend my Windows desktop on this computer' must be UNchecked.

In most cases, primary display adapter remains in text mode without Windows GUI.

In SoftICE video setup phase of installation, be sure to select 'Standard VGA' with UVD unchecked. It needs to reboot the Windows to take effect.

When SoftICE pops up at the first time, 'ALTSCR VGA' command will transfer the control to primary display adapter and it can display all runtime debug messages. Use 'ALTSCR OFF' to turn off debug message before any video adapter configuration changes.

IMPORTANT:

When Using Windows 2000 if you install or uninstall a video card, be sure to run the SoftICE video setup program after a successful reboot in your new configuration.

The first time you enable the secondary monitor, you need to reboot. If you don't, then when you pop up SoftICE, it will be active, but it won't display anything.

Under Windows NT 4.0, SoftICE has the ability to display within a window on the desktop (UVD mode), in full screen mode with one monitor, on a mono monitor, or on a secondary VGA monitor. In order to support a secondary VGA card, at least one video card in your system needs to have a "VGA Disable" jumper. The card that is VGA disabled will be the card/monitor which will display windows desktop. The other card will be your SoftICE VGA screen.

Old KB# 11286
Comment List
Anonymous