JDK 1.2.2 on Solaris - which one can we profile?

0 Likes

Problem:

I have the Sun JDK 1.2.2 installed on Solaris. I have heard that there are two different versions of it: one that the DevPartner Java tools can profile and another that we cannot. How can I tell the difference?

Resolution:

There are two different versions of the Sun JDK 1.2.2 for Solaris:

• Production Version (no JVMPI)
  • Reference Implementation (yes JVMPI)

The JVMPI (Java Virtual Machine Profiler Interface) is intended for tool vendors to develop profilers that work in conjunction with Sun's Java virtual machine implementation.

The DevPartner Java tools use this feature to generate profiling information. Therefore, we cannot profile the Production version of the Sun JDK 1.2.2 for Solaris.

To identify the version installed on your machine, go to the command line on your Solaris system (preferably logged in as root) andenter the following command:

java -version  

If you see the following:

Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_10, native threads, sunwjit)

Then you have the production VM and it cannot be profiled with the DevPartner Java tools. (no JVMPI)

If you see the following:

Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.2_011, green threads, sunwjit)

Then you have the correct VM. The DevPartner Java tools will be able to profile it. (has the JVMPI)

To remedy this situation, you need to go to the Sun Java web site and download and install the appropriate JDK: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

Old KB# 11022
Comment List
Anonymous