In the type editor, can I specify whether I want the name of a field to appear above or below the field?
No, you cannot specify whether the name of a field will appear above or below the field.
You can create a Title to appear above the field. To do this:
1. Enter the type editor open the Type which contains the field you want to edit.
2. Double click on the field to bring up its Field Properties window
3. Check the "Line above, title:" check box.
4. In the title field, enter the text you want to appear above the field, with a line under it.
5. Click OK, OK, Close to exit the type editor.