Restoring a backed up client server database

0 Likes

Problem:

The FairCom server has been making periodic backups of my database, as I intended it to.  My file server has crashed and my database is severely corrupted.  I need to restore the database from the dynamic dump backup file.  How do I do this?

Resolution:

This information was obtained, in part, from the FairCom Server Administrator's Guide.

CTRDMP is the utility that provided the dynamic recover ability.  CTRDMP is a Server itself, so there are some important points to keep in mind before running it:

1.  Be sure that the FairCom sever IS NOT RUNNING when CTRDMP is started, since the two server would interfere with each other.

2.  Because it is a server, CTRDMP will generate all system files associated with a Server (i.e. files with the extension .FCS).  Therefore the dynamic dump file (.BAK) and the CTRDMP utility should be moved to a directory other than the working directory where the FairCom sever resides.  This is so that the system files created by the recovery program do not overwrite the FairCom server files.

3.  The CTRDMP file needs to use a dynamic script file to restore the database.  You can use the same dynamic script file that was used to created the dynamic dump file for this procedure.  Copy this file to the same directory as CTRDMP.

4.  Since the files in the dynamic dump will be written to the same directory as the current copy (damaged) copy of the database, move the current copy of the database out of the \DBASE directory.

After taking these preliminary steps, do the following to recover a dynamic dump:

1.  Start the CTRDMP program from DOS

2.  When prompted, enter the name of the dynamic dump script that is to be used for recovery.  NOTE:  The same script file that was used to create the dump can also be used to restore the database.

The dump recovery will begin automatically at the scheduled time and will produce a series of messages reporting the progress of the recovery.

1.  Each recovered (i.e. recreated) file will be listed as completed,

2.  After all the specified files have been recovered, a message is displayed that the recovery log (i.e. the transaction log) is being checked and that the recovered files were restored back to their state as of a given time (i.e., the time when the Dynamic Dump was begun), and,

3.  The utility concludes with a message that the dump recovery process has finished successfully.

It will now be necessary for you to run the TrackRecord Rebuild utility on these files to restore the database (especially if you only backed up the .DAT files).  After you have confirmed that the database files have been written to the \DBASE directory, please do the following:

1. DO NOT start the FairCom server

2. From the TrackRecord program group, click on the Rebuild Utility icon.  This will start the rebuild utility.

3. Provide Rebuild with the path to the database and a path to an empty directory where it can create and store a back up the database files.  A backup of the database should always be created, prior to rebuilding it.

4. Check Compact Database - Auto Backup check box and then press the "Start Rebuild" button.

5. Once the rebuild is complete, go to the FairCom server directory and delete all files ending in a .FCS extension.  Chances are that if your are restoring your database from a backup then the file server itself may have experienced a crash and the FairCom server itself was not properly shut down.  In this case, these .FCS files are probably corrupted and FairCom will experience an error when starting.  The .FCS files will be re-created once the FairCom server is restarted.

6.  Restart the Faircom server and then log into TrackRecord as the user with administrative privileges.

7. From the menubar, select FILE t Check Database.  TrackRecord will now check the internal structure of the database and repair any errors.

8. Once the Check Database is complete, your users can log back into the database.

Old KB# 11400
Comment List
Anonymous