Can I distribute FailSafe's Trace Viewer with my product?

0 Likes

Problem:

Can I distribute FailSafe's Trace Viewer with my product?

Resolution:

No, the Trace viewer is part of FailSafe and you cannot distruibute it with your product. However, these tracing messages can be configured to write to a log file. Also, because the code injected into your application is completely open, with minimal effort one could easily create a replacement window for theses tracing messages.

When the application that has been instrumented first loads, it will look for a valid window handle to send these tracing messages to. This function is located in the fsStart procedure. Because it is looking for a specific window with a title of "NuMega FailSafe" Or "NuMega FailSafe -", you can create a window.

To demonstrate this.

1. Open Notepad

2. Do a File -> Save

3. Filename = "NuMega FailSafe"

- Use quotes so that it has no file extension.

- Notepads title bar should now read "NuMega FailSafe - Notepad"

4. Create a sample program that is Instrumented with FailSafe and generates an error

- You could use C:\Program Files\Compuware\FailSafe\Vb5\DEMOSAFE.vbp for this

5. Now, run the application so that an error is generated

The result of this demonstration will be a change in Notepad's title bar. With a little more effort utilizing an API, you could perform a hook into a window to receive thes messages.

The code that FailSafe injects into your project is open for the developer to customize it to their need.

Old KB# 11611
Comment List
Anonymous