Breakpoints not working on XP with SP1 or Windows 2000 with SP3

0 Likes

Problem:

I am using XP sp1 or Windows 2000 sp3 with DriverStudio or DriverSuite 2.7 and my user mode breakpoints are not stopping correctly plus I am getting hook failure messages, what should I do?

Resolution:

First, here is a link to osinfo.dat, replace the one currently on your machine and reboot. This should take into account any structural changes in the kernel that the service pack has made.

ftp://ftp.compuware.com/pub/driverstudio/outgoing/OsInfo/OSINFO.DAT

If there are any problems after this due to hotfixes, etc. this should alleviate them:

The symbol trick as it is called gives SoftICE a change to dynamically calculate some of its hooks.

The steps are as follows.

1. Create a correct NMS file for ntoskrnl. See "Translating system files" below.

2. Place the NTSYMBOLS=ON keyword on a separate line in winice.dat.

3. Add the symbols to the list of symbols to load at start. See "Adding files to start" below.

That should solve nearly even problem encountered with a hot fix or service pack.

TRANSLATING SYSTEM FILES -

1. Be sure you have the correct symbols for your service pack and OS from the Microsoft web site or from the hot fix download zip file.

NOTE: The example below is for ntoskrnl but the steps should be done on any system file you plan on translating.

2. Find the correct ntoskrnl.exe for you machine. To do this right click on ntoskrnl.exe and select properties. Then select the version tab and then the original file name view.

3. If the original file name was something other than ntoskrnl.exe then copy and rename the copy of ntoskrnl back to its original name.

4. Copy the ntoskrnl.dbg (or pdb) that matches the original ntoskrnl.exe into the same directory as the exe.

5. Open SoftICE symbol loader.

6. Open the ntoskrnl.exe and translate the executable.

7. If the exe was renamed due to the original file name then rename the resulting nms file back to ntoskrnl.nms

8. Add ntoskrnl.nms to your list of symbol files to load at start using the SoftICE init settings dialog.

ADDING FILES TO START -

1. Open symbol loader.

2. From the edit menu choose "SoftICE initialization settings".

3. Go to "symbols" in the left side tree.

4. Use the add button and navigate to the nms file that you made and add it to the list.

Old KB# 11829
Comment List
Anonymous