Modifying the BoundsChecker settings used when running on a service

0 Likes

Problem:

BoundsChecker 6.5, running on an ISAPI DLL. Problem trying to modify the settings, though. I load BoundsChecker (bc.exe), open inetinfo.exe, turn on "Report call stack on memory allocation", then close BoundsChecker. When I rerun BoundsChecker and reopen inetinfo.exe, I see that "Report call stack on memory allocation" is on. But then I start the inetinfo service from the Services applet and when BoundsChecker starts, I see that "Report call stack on memory allocation" is NOT set. When I run, no call stack is reported.

Resolution:

BoundsChecker will normally save and retrieve its runtime settings for a specific EXE in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software \uMega\BoundsChecker\Projects. If that EXE is run as a service, though, BoundsChecker will save and retrieve its settings from HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software \uMega\BoundsChecker\Projects. Therefore, when you need to modify the settings for a service, you can do one of two things:

1. When the service starts and BoundsChecker runs, before hitting F5 to run the service, modify the BoundsChecker settings. These settings will be saved to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\uMega\BoundsChecker\Projects\<YOURSERVICE>.exe
  2. Start BoundsChecker (bc.exe), open the EXE, and modify the settings. These will be saved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\uMega\BoundsChecker\Projects\<YOURSERVICE>.exe. Export that key to a file, then open the file in a text editor and substitute all occurences of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" with "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT". Import that file into the registry. You should now have a key HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\uMega\BoundsChecker\Projects\<YOURSERVICE>.exe
Old KB# 11079
Comment List
Anonymous