Configuring the SBM Provider in Release Control to Pull Changes from SSM

0 Likes

We recently released a brand new version of Release Control (RLC), version 6. One of the many things we added in this release is a new Provider Interface that makes it much easier to integrate with any tool, including Serena tools. Along with the release, we provided out of the box providers for SBM, SDA and Dimensions CM with more to come.

In this blog post, I am going to show you how to leverage the SBM Provider to be able to reference Changes from Serena Service Manager (SSM), which is our ITSM product built on SBM, in a Release Package.

Step 1: Access the Release Control Provider Admin Interface

In order to access the Release Control Provider Admin interface you must be logged in as a user that has the "Remote Administration" privilege enabled. To access it use this URL:

http://<SBMSERVER>/workcenter/tmtrack.dll?shell=swc&StdPage&Template=rlm/provideradmin

Where <SBMSERVER> is the hostname of your SBM server. If your instance of SBM is not running on the standard port 80, you may need to include that as well.

Step 2:Add a New Configuration

Once in the Release Control Provider Admin interface, click on the "Add Configuration" link.

Step 3 - Set Up the Configuration

First select the provider you want to use. In this case we are using the SBM Provider

Now, we can provide the rest of the details. This configuration will only be used as a "Request" provider, so we will not fill out the "Execution Properties", and under "Provider Types" we will only enable "Request":

Under "SBM Web Services" make sure you are providing the right hostname and URL where you have the web services for SBM running.

Set "Use Single Sign-On (SSO)" to true if you have this configured on your SBM instance, and if the user that will be selecting the Changes has the access to this Process Application. If your SBM instance that is running SSM is different than your instance running Release Control, SSO will probably not work.

If you are not sure, then set it to false and provide a User Name and Password to access the Change Management Process Application in SSM.

In case you want to use this as a guide for configuring other configurations (i.e., other Process Apps in SBM), you can get the DBNAME and the Extended Fields by looking in Composer or in the Administrator Portal, under "Projects".

Step 4 - Try it Out!

Now when I go to a Release Package in Release Control, under the Requests tab I click on the "Edit Requests" tab and when I go to add a new request, I now have the "SSM-Change Management" option;

I am now able to search for Changes and choose the one I am looking for:

Click on the "Add Selected Requests" button and you are done! If we look under the "Requests" tab for this Release Package we can see the Change being referenced (i.e., this Release Package is addressing this Change in SSM):

Labels:

New Release-Feature
Comment List
Anonymous