Why might I get the error message "Database connection is not defined or failed" when trying to connect SilkCentral Test Manager to a database?

0 Likes

Problem:

Why might I get the error message "Database connection is not defined or failed" when trying to connect SilkCentral Test Manager to a database?

Resolution:

QUESTION
----------------------------------

ANSWER
----------------------------------

Make sure you know which type of Database you are connecting to, as your password and DBMS-hostname will differ. Your password will be either "sa" or will be blank. Also, if you have an instance of the MSDE running on your PC then you need to enter the "\segue" and not just localhost.

Please make sure that you know which type of database you are trying to connect to;

The details you will need to create a local MSDE database are:

DBMS-hostname or IP-address: \segue
Port: 1433
DBMS-type: MSSQL Server
User: sa
Password: sa
Database / SID:

Note: If you installed Test Manager using the evaluation setup package, or if you installed the MSDE included in the setup package, the MSDE (SQL Server) instance is localhost\segue and the default user is "sa" and the password is "sa".

The details you will need to create a database on a local or network MS SQL Server are:

DBMS-hostname or IP-address:
Port: 1433
DBMS-type: MSSQL Server
User: sa
Password: no password
Database / SID:

Note: If you installed the Evaluation version of Test Manager, you should login as user "sa" (with no password) when creating a local MSDE database.

Note: Username "sa" with no password is the default administrator login for MSSQL Server databases. In most environments, the Database Administrator changes this login after installation for security purposes. If you can not log in, ask your database administrator for the current administrator login.

To create a database on a local or network Oracle Server, enter:

DBMS-hostname or IP-address:
Port: 1521
DBMS-type: Oracle
User:
Password:
Database / SID:

More information is available on Page 70 of the Test Manager Installation and Configuration Guide found under Start - Programs - SilkCentral - Test Manager - Documentation.

Old KB# 24732
Comment List
Anonymous