How can I pass a parameter value into the expected results field of a test step for a manual test?

0 Likes

Problem:

How can I pass a parameter value into the expected results field of a test step for a manual test?

Resolution:

QUESTION
----------------------------------

ANSWER
----------------------------------

To run a manual test, make sure you are in the testplan section and then right-click over the test definition that you have created
for your manual test. From the right-click menu, select "Try Run Test Definition". This takes you to the execution section where you
can add the results and change the status by clicking on the icon in the "Actions" column - see Image 1:

Image 1

Once you click on this icon you are taken to the "manual test details" where you can add the result and change the status. Notice in
the screenshot below there is a value in the "Expected Result" field, "Borland" - see Image 2:

Image 2

So the question is, how is this set up so that "Borland" is automatically displayed here?

1. First you need to create a parameter, give it a name, type and value. To create the parameter, select the manual test definition and then go to the Parameters tab - see Image 3:

Image 3

2. Now create a new parameter, for example - see Image 4:

Image 4

3. Next you need to right-click on your manual test step and go to Edit. In here you can pass in the parameter which is denoted with a dollar sign - see Image 5:

Image 5

This is how you achieve the parameter value being displayed in the expected results field for a test step of a manual test as can be seen in Image 2.

Old KB# 24616
Comment List
Anonymous