When using the MSDE Configuration Tool to backup my database why do I get the error "SQL Error No : 3201. SQL Server MSG : Cannot open backup device <some path here> Device Error or device off-line"?

0 Likes

Problem:

When using the MSDE Configuration Tool to backup my database why do I get the error "SQL Error No : 3201. SQL Server MSG : Cannot open backup device <some path here> Device Error or device off-line"?

Resolution:

• Product Name: StarTeam
  • Product Version: 2005 R2
  • Product Component: Database
  • Platform/OS Version: Windows

Question:

When using the MSDE Configuration Tool to backup my database why do I get the error "SQL Error No : 3201. SQL Server MSG : Cannot open backup device Device Error or device off-line"?

Answer:

This error will be generated if the path you specify to store the database backup does not exist. The reason for this is that the MSDE Configuration Tool does not have the ability to create new directories on the machine therefore you need to create the directory beforehand or specify an existing directory. Please note that if you are running this tool on a different machine from where MSDE is installed, this directory must be created on the MSDE machine, not the local one. Once complete the backed up database will be saved into the specified directory on the machine hosting MSDE.

Author: Martin Donnelly

Old KB# 27978
Comment List
Related
Recommended