How to upgrade to StarTeam 2008 R2 Server.

0 Likes

Problem:

Resolution:

• Product Name: StarTeam

• Product Version: 2008 R2

• Product Component: Server

• Platform/OS Version: Windows 2003 Server

Description:

Assumptions:

You have at least StarTeam 2005 Server (7.0.133.31) and already have the necessary backend software purchased and licensed before upgrading. For upgrading previous versions, please contact Borland Support.

Answer/Solution:

IMPORTANT:
StarTeam 2008 R2 ONLY SUPPORTS SQL SERVER 2005, ORACLE 10G, AND ORACLE 11G. If Oracle is the database, please see step 5 which lists the supported database versions.

StarTeam 2008 DOES NOT SUPPORT references to non-Native II Vaults

You cannot upgrade to this release of StarTeam Server unless you have converted all Native-I and Foreign Archives to the Native-II archive format.

Step 1: Create a backup of the database and the repository.

Step 2: Verify that a Native-II vault is being used:
KB article How do I get rid of my references to Native-I or Foreign Archives found in the Database shows the steps required to convert from Native I or Foreign to Native II.

Step 3: Ensure that at least patch 33 has been applied to StarTeam 2005 R2 (8.0.172.33 or higher).
Alternatively, you may upgrade from StarTeam 2005 Patch number 21 (7.0.133.21 or higher)

Step 4: Verify that there are no references to Native I archives in the repository.
- Run "VaultVerify"
- Run "ReportArchives" (Only if vaultverify reports any native-I files).

Vault Verify and Report Archives are in StarTeam installation folder. (default: C:\Program Files\Borland\StarTeam Server 2005 R2\VaultVerify). Instructions included in the Vault Verify folder.

Step 5: Restore the backup of your database to the new DB. Supported 2008 R2 DB versions below:

Steb 5b: Assuming a SQL Server upgrade change the compatibility mode to SQL 2005.

Step 6: Create an ODBC connection to the new database.

Step 7: Install StarTeam Server 2008 R2 - the download is available on the main download page or please go to our patch site for the latest patched version of the 2008 R2 server.

Note: You may do a custom installation and make sure to not install the SSE 2005 and Sample Project that might get installed on your server on accident.

Step 8: Copy the old StarTeam "starteam-server-configs.xml" file to StarTeam 2008 R2 install directory. This file is located in the server installation directory. (by default: C:\Program Files\Borland\StarTeam Server 2005 R2). If you installed the server on the same machine as the old server version, this file should get copied for you.

NOTE: DO NOT CREATE A NEW CONFIGURATION IN 2008 R2 SERVER ADMINISTRATION GUI. THE SERVER WILL NOT START. YOU MUST COPY THE XML FILE FROM THE OLD SERVER INSTALL DIRECTORY.

Step 8b: Open the starteam-server-configs.xml and change the "repositorypath" value to reflect the new path. Typically the log path is also the same as the repository path, so change that value as well. If there are other tags in the xml file which are inaccurate such as DB Server Name change the values to reflect the correct value.

Step 9: Verify the database connection
- Open the
StarTeam Server Administration Tool
- Select the configuration
- From the menu bar go to "Server" --> "Configuration Properties".
- Select "Database Connection Information" tab.
- Verify the "ODBC database name" matches the name created in step 5.
- Enter the database username and password.
- Hit "verify Connection" It should say "Connection test completed successfully".

Note:If an error appears, ensure the database username and password are correct. Also ensure the ODBC successfully connects to the database - via the "ODBC Data Sources" Administrative tool in "control panel".

Step 10: Upgrade the database.
- Open the StarTeam Server Administration tool.
- Select the configuration.
- From the menu bar go to "Actions" --> "Upgrade".
- Enter the required DB password and hit "Log on".
- The database will start to upgrade, once this has completed successfully continue with the next step.

Step 11: Start the configuration with Override. Enter the endpoint (default value = 49201) and enter the attachments path. You can only start the server with an override in Application Mode. Please toggle StarTeam from Service mode to Application mode if necessary.

The server should successfully start at this point. Confirm that it is working properly by running Vault Verify again on the 2008 R2 server.

f you encounter any problems or errors while upgrading, please contact Borland Support (1-877-800-2675).

Author: Daniel Rice

Old KB# 29243
Comment List
Related
Recommended