Why do I get "Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment" when I am trying to uninstall StarTeam?

0 Likes

Problem:

Why do I get "Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment" when I am trying to uninstall StarTeam?

Resolution:

• Product Name: StarTeam
  • Product Version: All
  • Product Component: Uninstaller
  • Platform/OS Version: Windows

Question:

Why do I get ?Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment? when I am trying to uninstall StarTeam?

Answer:

This may be caused by a registry setting that is incorrectly identifying the wrong version of the Java Runtime. To check if this is the case on your machine, open a command prompt, and enter java ?version
You should see an error message similar to the following;

Note that the versions identified here are 1.4 and 1.5 but these may differ on your machine therefore please make a note of the versions reported.

Open the Registry Editor, and navigate to the following key;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Javasoft\Java Runtime Environment

The value shown above in the entry for CurrentVersion is 1.4 ? double-click this String Value & change it to 1.5 (or whatever version reported previously). You can now close the Registry Editor as the changes should be saved. The uninstall process should now work correctly.

Note: Borland recommends backing up the registry before making any changes to it as modifying incorrect keys can have serious consequences to the operating system. Any changes made should be done by someone with experience in using the registry.

Author: Andrew Thompson

Old KB# 27669
Comment List
Related
Recommended