How to copy a server entry from the starbaseserver.ini file to the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file.
Information in this Brief applies to:
This process is a work-around for when a StarTeam Administrator wants to upgrade from an older StarTeam 5.x build to StarTeam 5.4 or 6.0, and the entry for the server configuration does not appear in the 5.4 or 6.0 Server Tools after installation. Ideally, when StarTeam 5.4 or 6.0 are installed, the entry for the server configuration is picked up by the starteam-server-configs.xml file. In some cases it is not so, and the entry must be generated manually. Prior to performing this process you may wish to copy the starbaseserver.ini file that contains the entry in the older version"s Server Tools into the StarTeam 5.4 or 6.0 install directory. This directory holds the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file, so to find it you can just do a search within Windows for the starbaseserver.ini file, place that in the same directory as the existing starteam-server-configs.xml file and then re-install just the server portion of the StarTeam server. This .xml file should be automatically populated and the more laborious steps outlined below may become unnecessary.
If the re-install does not resolve the issue, a manual work-around that has proven effective is to copy an existing server configuration from within the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file duplicating an existing server configuration and then populating that copied configuration with the information from the starbaseserver.ini file.
1. Save a copy of the existing StarTeam-server-configs.xml file to a safe location in case it is needed.
2. Open the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file using notepad.
3. Copy an existing server configuration from within the StarTeam-server-configs.xml to the bottom of the file. Take care to include the switch at the bottom of the .xml file.
4. Open the starbaseserver.ini file from the earlier release of StarTeam that you wish to upgrade from.
5. Tile each window vertically so that you can easily see the contents of the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file and the contents of the starbaseserver.ini file.
6. Copy the values from the starbaseserver.ini file into the corresponding fields in the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file. For example:
The StarTeam-server-configs.xml file has this entry:
Replace the numeric portion only with the corresponding entry from the starbaseserver.ini file:
This is so that the GUID value from the starbaseserver.ini file is duplicated in the StarTeam-server-configs.xml file.
7. Save the new StarTeam-server-configs.xml file and the server configuration that previously appeared only in older versions of StarTeam should now appear in the StarTeam 5.4/6.0 Server Tools.