How to truncate the MSDE transaction log using the MSDE Admin Tool.
Information in this Brief applies to:
Like all SQL databases the default StarTeam MSDE database can occasionally fill up the allocated space for the transaction log. This will result in an error stating the transaction log is full and that the log needs to be backed up to free up space. While this message usually does not prevent the StarTeam server from starting it will prevent clients from making a connection.
To resolve this issue it will first be necessary to install the MSDE Admin Tools which are included in the StarTeam 5.3 and 5.4 CDs.
Important: The StarTeam server must be shut down prior to using the MSDE Admin Tool and for the duration of this operation.
The setting to truncate the logs is located within the MSDE Admin Tool. To run the Admin Tool click "Start"->"Programs"->"SQL Server Desktop Configuration Tool"->"MSDE Configuration Tool".
Within the MSDE Admin Tool:
1. Within the "Server/Name" field enter the host name where MSDE is installed and the SA username and password then click "Connect". Note the default MSDE System Administrator username and password is "sa" with no password set.
2. Select the "DB specific actions" tab.
3. Select the database that you would like to shrink the transaction log for from the drop-down list.
4. Select "View database configuration settings"
5. Click the "Perform Action" button.
6. A pop-up window will appear titled "Desktop SQL Server Configuration Tool - Database Options"
7. From the "Settable options" drop-down menu select "trunc. log on chkpt.".
8. Click the "Turn on option" button then click the "Close" button.
9. Disconnect and exit the MSDE Admin Tool.
This should truncate the log preventing or eliminating the error.