StarTeam 2005 R2 client installer stops with a failure in the registerFonts function of fontmanager.dll

0 Likes

Problem:

StarTeam 2005 R2 client installer stops with a failure in the registerFonts function of fontmanager.dll

Resolution:

• Product Name: StarTeam
  • Product Version: 2005 R2 client
  • Product Component: Installer
  • Platform/OS Version: All
  • JDK Version: All

Description:

I am attempting to install the StarTeam 2005 R2 client (2005R2STClient.exe). The initial installer dialog shows progress up to 100% and then stops without doing anything else.

The installer"s debug output (obtained by tapping Ctrl as the installer proceeds) shows a failure in the registerFonts function of fontmanager.dll:

--------------------

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
    Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x6D1C369C
    Function=Java_sun_awt_font_NativeFontWrapper_registerFonts 0x14BC
    Library=C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\I1133197513\Windows\
    resource\jre\bin\fontmanager.dll

--------------------

How can I get around this problem?

Answer/Solution:

This problem is most likely due to corrupt fonts. Try removing existing fonts from your \Fonts directory and then reinstalling them. Also make sure you don"t have any bad files in your \Fonts directory. Furthermore, since viruses sometimes hide files in the \Fonts directory (it is convenient for this purpose since Windows doesn"t show any files besides fonts that reside there), it is recommended to view and browse the directory via a console window to verify that it only contains font files. The article below provides a more systematic approach for determining which fonts, if any, are causing problems. It is written specifically for JBuilder but the information pertains to any Java-based installer:

http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,26560,00.html

Author: Yu-Chen Hsueh

Old KB# 28111
Comment List
Related
Recommended