If my Belise backup server is not online the primary license server will not start. Is this as designed?

0 Likes

Problem:

If my Belise backup server is not online the primary license server will not start. Is this as designed?

Resolution:

• Product Name: StarTeam
  • Product Version:ALL
  • Product Component:BLS/License
  • Platform/OS Version:All

Question:

Answer:

This is as designed behaviour when you have your slip file setup to include a backup server.
If the backup server is not available then the primary server will not start. This is as designed. The reason for this is to inform the administrator that the backup server is not ready or available therefore ensuring that action is taken to ensure that should the primary server fail then the backup will be available. To flip side of this is that the backup server needs to only be available at the point in time when the primary server is starting up. Should the backup server be available for the primary server starting and then fail after the server has restarted, then the primary server will not know. To combat such a scenario you would need to use a query function such as the windows SC command line option with the parameter queryex. For additional details please see the link below: http://www.ss64.com/nt/sc.html

Author: David McLeish
Old KB# 28521
Comment List
Related
Recommended