Same Object different properties IE9 & IE11

Hi all,

I've recently uncovered something very strange. I wrote a script against IE 9 and was able to play it back fine. I then got on a machine using IE 11 x86 and the script got to the log in screen and didn't go any further. After some investigation I found that the object that is in IE 9 (in this case the username text box) is nowhere to be found in IE 11. The objects for the password field and the submit button show up fine, but not the User name Field. What would cause this and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

JCH

• Have you tried compatibility mode in IE 11, it seems like IE 11 is rendering the page completely differently.

• I would use TestPartner to determine which properties change between IE9 & IE11, using the object Identify feature and/or toggling which properties it tries to match on.

Open the object map entry on the IE11 machine & un-tick each significant property until Locate finds it.

If the property isn't essential to keep the object unique you could leave it un-ticked, or use a wildcard character (*) as appropriate so the object is located on both IE versions.

I once had a case where an edit box's CssText property was different between IE versions because it ordered the elements differently:

FONT: 12px arial,sans-serif; COLOR:#1f336b; TEXT-DECORATION: none

TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT: 12px arial,sans-serif; COLOR:#1f336b

so I resolved it by changing it to the one essential element & wildcards:

*COLOR:#1f336b*

• Hey eggbox, thanks for your reply. I tried compatibility mode on the IE 11 machine, but it still doesn't pick up the username field hmm. I'm going to try Dave_M's method next.

• Dave_M, thanks for the suggestion. I wish I could show you what I'm dealing with. In the Object Selection box the object HTMLEditBox for the username shows up in IE9. However in IE11 the HTMLEditbox object for username is missing completely. The password object appears on both IE9 and IE11. So the problem is I'm unable to even see the same object in IE11. Thus there is no ticks to check or uncheck. Does that make sense?

• Dave_M, thanks for the suggestion. I wish I could show you what I'm dealing with. In the Object Selection box the object HTMLEditBox for the username shows up in IE9. However in IE11 the HTMLEditbox object for username is missing completely. The password object appears on both IE9 and IE11. So the problem is I'm unable to even see the same object in IE11. Thus there is no ticks to check or uncheck. Does that make sense?

• So on IE11 you can see the UserName field yourself, but when you hover over it with TestPartner's Identify "black hand with a target" pointer it doesn't see it as a separate thing?

Looking through the tree on the Object Selection box can be tricky so I'd try the Identify button on the Object Map Entry screen instead. You can then go to the Properties tab & see how TP sees it.

• I've used the Identify option...In IE9 & IE11 they both see the username box and they both see the HTMLDIV. However it's IE11 that does not contain the HTMLEditBox for the actual field like IE9 does see the HTMLEditBox. I've searched the entire tree on IE11 it's just not there. TP in IE11 just sees the HTMLDiv and not the HTMLEditBox. IE9 TP sees both.

• Yes that does sound strange indeed.

Have you tried a new script recording on IE11, populating Password then UserName & seeing what the TP script says? Perhaps it just won't record & playback properly even with a new recording.

Have you got the latest TestPartner? 6.3.2 was released in May.

• Yes that does sound strange indeed.

Have you tried a new script recording on IE11, populating Password then UserName & seeing what the TP script says? Perhaps it just won't record & playback properly even with a new recording.

Have you got the latest TestPartner? 6.3.2 was released in May.

• Recording a new script doesn't change anything. I have the latest TP update.