Newbie questions about Quality Center

Hi All.

With Quality Center, where are the test scripts and test data stored?  Is QC itself  the actual repository?  Is this aspect handled by QTP instead?  Does Quality Center integrate with 3rd party source control tools for this like SilkCentral does?  

If 3rd party source control tools are integrated in this manner, which ones are supported?  Subversion, Perforce, Clearcase, etc? 

Thank you!

- Jim

• The Test Scripts and data are stored in the Repository.  This is a File System path which was set during the installation of Quality Center.

Quality Center allows for Version Control, but not through 3rd party

• Hi Ronni.

Can you elaborate on what "the repository" is?   Is it a directory structure on the Quality Center server?

Is there real version control support (branching, merging, labeling, etc) for script development?

Also, doesn't QTP have a concept of a repository?   How does that repository relate to Quality Center's repository?

Thanks

Jim

• The QC "Repository" is a file system. It can be located on the same server as the QC application or on a separate network-accessible device. The QC Repository is a storage location for items in QC that are not explicitly represented in the descriptions of QC entities (like a test case, a design step, a requirement) that are detailed in the back end database tables.

QC Version control is not as robust as third party VC systems. It does not support branching, merging, or labeling.

A QTP Repository is a different type of entity. In QTP there is a need to store information about the objects from the Application Under Test that the QTP script interacts with. These are stored in the QTP Object Repository. This is not a file system, like QC. Object Repositories for QTP can be Local or Shared. When storing QTP scripts and their associated entities in QC you also store the Object Repositories in QC, and they become accessible under the Resources interface.

Hope that helps.
  • Thank you for the helpful info.  I am learning a lot!

Let's say I have QTP and not Quality Center.   I develop some QTP test cases for my product.  I want version control for my scripts, test data, baseline files, etc.   Do I have the option of using a 3rd party tool like Subversion in this scenario?  Does QTP work with Subversion or other version control systems?

Time goes by and I have 10K cases automated.  My company buys Quality Center.  I have been told in this thread that Quality Center does not integrate with 3rd party tools and that Quality Center is the repository for the test scripts and test data.  What do I need to do at that point to use Quality Center with regard to my 10k test cases?

Thanks,

Jim

• I'm not aware that QTP (stand-alone) offers any direct integration with 3rd party version control systems. You would need to contact HP sales to find out for sure.

When you create a test in QTP and have function libraries and object repositories and stored images of the AUT, a whole directory structure is automatically created by QTP to store these entities so that each time you bring up a test QTP knows exactly where to find everything for that test. If you wanted to use a 3rd party version control system, I would say to ensure integrity you would need to use the QTP feature "Export a Test" which creates a zip file of the test's structure, then version control that zip. You wouldn't be able to compare versions very easily, though.

If you got QC later on and wanted to add your QTP stuff to it, you would have to work through a process to do that. You may have to do it all manually, connecting QTP to the QC system, opening each test stored in the file system (from using QTP stand-alone), and then saving it into QC. (When you have both products, within the QTP UI you can establish a connection to a QC system, and then store tests directly into QC.) There may be ways to do it programmatically using the Open Test Architecture API that is available with QC. I'm not sure as this particular task (programmatically adding QTP to QC) is not something I've ever explored.

Note that you don't HAVE TO store QTP assets in QC. You could continue to use them stand-alone. However, if you do store them in QC you get the benefit of incorporating your QTP tests into the ALM traceability tracking Release, Requirements, Tests (auto or manual) that cover requirements, test results, defects, and so on. And you get the power of the reporting available in QC. And you have feature that allow you to run QTP tests from QC. (However, QC does not have a built in tool for scheduling a background task to run QTP tests, such as might be desirable if you were doing nightly builds and wanted to automate testing.)

One last thing. There is an extension/add-on for ALM Quality Center called Application Lifecycle Intelligence that provides even more funcitonality, including integration between ALM and the following source control systems: Subversion Concurrent Versions System, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Perforce.

I would strongly recommend that you get in contact with HP Sales to get more information and demos of the products available.

Hope that helps.