NOTICE: Our Community is moving. Get more information.
Creating a glossary XML file in Excel and importing it in CaliberRM
Product Version: CaliberRM 2005 R2
When a list of glossary terms are created in MS Excel 2003 and
saved as XML document, it cannot be imported into CaliberRM. The
XML document created will have many elements specific to opening
the document in Excel. CaliberRM requires that the DTD of XML
document should be in the same format as the one created, when a
glossary is exported from Caliber.
The first step is to export a sample glossary from CaliberRM and
save it as TestGlossary.xml. A sample document is attached. Follow
the steps below to create an XML document by mapping the DTD of
sample glossary in Excel.
1) Open the excel document that you created (Acronym.xml) in MS
2) Copy the full data - Ctrl+A
3) Open a new Workbook and paste the data in there. This is just to
make sure that we have a new document.
4) Rename the headings from "Acronym" to "Name"
and "Expansion" to "Definition".
5) Now, select all text in the new workbook and right-click -Format
6) Click on "Alignment" tab and remove the "Wrap
text" option. This is to make sure that there are no extra
spaces,etc added to XML document. Click "OK".
7) The next step is to map the XML Source from the sample glossary
8) Click on "Data" menu and open XML > XML Source.
This will open XML work book dialog.
9) Click on "XML Maps" button. Now click on
10) Select the Test Glossary.xml attached. Click "OK" if
it says there is no schema available.
11) Now, the Glossary_Map will be shown in XML Maps dialog.
12) Click on the "Name" node under Glossary - Terms -
Term in the Glossary_Map.
13) Now, you should drag and drop "Name" on to
"Name" heading in the worksheet. This will change the
heading to a list drop down.
14) Similar to above step, drag and drop "Definition" on
to "Definition" heading in the worksheet.
15) Now, you have mapped your data to XML.
16) Click on "Data" menu and open "XML" >
"Export". Select a location and save the file as
17) Now, open the XML file created above, and add the DTD from
sample glossary XML file. Excel does not seem to adding the DTD to
the file. For this, add the "DOCTYPE" element to this
file after the "?xml" element. Please refer to
Glossary.xml for the DTD.
Note: The above DTD, "!ELEMENT Term (Name,
Definition*)" is changed when compared to TestGlossary.xml.
Some of the glossary terms may not have definitions defined. This
will make sure that the XML import does not throw an error because
of missing definitions.
19) Remove xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
from element. Save the file. The final glossary file is attached -
20) Open Framework Administrator and import this file.