RESIDENT and CANCEL ALL

I was wondering if a program that is made resident by including the RESIDENT clause in the PROGRAM-ID paragraph will remain in memory after it exits using an EXIT PROGRAM.  If not, can I exit from the program and remove it from memory?  I need to shield a program from a CANCEL ALL in a called program.

I have a BIS service program calling another program that is calling a final program that has a CANCEL ALL in it that is resetting the XML object in the initial service program.  This is pretty highly undesirable as BIS core dumps and dies when trying to do an XML EXPORT FILE.  

• Why hasn't this one been answered yet?

Here's how I understand it...

The resident program will remain in memory after the exit program statement returns processing control to the parent program.  A cancel all statement does not cancel a resident program.  The only way to cancel a resident program is by using an explicit cancel statement, cancel "<resident prog>".  

• This is a bit more complex than I first thought.  Please correct my understanding if it is wrong.

To clarify, you have a BIS program, let's call it ProgA, which calls another program, ProgB, which calls another program, ProgC.  ProgA calls either a DLL or shared library to create an XML object and a CANCEL ALL in ProgC is affecting that XML object.  

In this scenario, adding RESIDENT to ProgA will have no effect.  RESIDENT is used to keep called COBOL programs in memory and shielded from CANCEL statements.  ProgA is not called, it is the main program and so will always remain in memory during the life of a specific runtime process.  

Because it is the main program ProgA should never be affected by a CANCEL statement.  However a DLL or shared library called by ProgA would be affected.

You may be able to clear this up by adding "CANCEL_ALL_DLLS FALSE" in the runtime congifuration file.  This should exclude the DLL or shared library from the CANCEL ALL.

• @DougP - You are correct in your understanding of the issue.  I am using XML extensions.  Can I set this configuration variable for just the affected programs (i.e. programs using XML extensions) with something like this?

SET ENVIRONMENT "CANCEL_ALL_DLLS" TO "FALSE".

There may be occasions where I would want this type of behavior for a CANCEL ALL.

• Verified Answer

Yes @buggabill, you can toggle the CANCEL_ALL_DLLS setting within your application with the SET statement.

• Verified Answer

A bit of a correction: a program invoked by BIS (ProgA in the scenario above) is NOT really a main program. It's effectively CALLed by the BIS Service Engine. I just confirmed this in a BIS program, using a call to C$CALLEDBY, which returned -1 (meaning "Caller unknown; routine not called by a COBOL program"). A main program will return 0, and a program CALLed by another COBOL program will return 1.

I also confirmed that a CANCEL ALL in a called subprogram causes my initial service program to crash on an XML EXPORT FILE statement. But adding CANCEL_ALL_DLLS=FALSE in my cblconfig prevented the crash.

@buggabill, I don't believe a SET ENVIRONMENT statement will just affect the program in which it's executed; rather, it should effect the entire run unit. As Doug states, you can toggle it on and off, but each time it's toggled the new value will affect the entire run unit.