This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Extra! Basic Dialog box manipulation

I need to have cascading DropListBox's for a menu that builds a string. For example if DropListBox1 has three plus options it will display DropListBox2 to DropListBox4 below it depending on selection. Each subsequent DropListBox will need to hide/reveal the appropriate DropListBox selection.  I'm unsure if this would best be done by having multiple sub DropListBox's and have them display or hide depending on previous menu selection like the bad example image or if I should propagate each DropListBox with an array.   Which would be more efficient?  I've been unsuccessful in both hiding / revealing and propagating with arrays.  The goal of the dialog box is to create a string that it sends to the terminal. I'm an end user, not a developer but I am putting in earnest effort to learn.

My current partially functional dialog looks like:

Bad Example:


Mainframe Access
  • Tom,

       Thanks for the encouragement.  Oddly I find it easier to follow, read and troubleshoot when it’s object oriented.  My mind gets bogged down reading long repetitive code. The dialogs you helped me with are far from the entire Macro.  I’m at a little over 3k lines of code now and haven’t had any compile errors.  I’ve still got a long way to go for completion.  I’m working with a legacy system that has an extensive command set and horrific syntax, so while the system is indispensable and highly efficient, very few can actually take advantage of it.  Im writing the GUI interface to make the system useable for the “illiterate”. Lol.  I’d have done it as an independent application which I feel would have been easier, but as an end user (not a company developer) I’m not authorized to do that which is why I’m making a bloated macro.   Considering the group I’m making it for, there will have to be lots of form validation and logic that references existing data to know what’s needed in the syntax of some commands.  As I learn new tricks, I end up rewriting whole sections of code which improves performance and reduces the macro size.  There are still a number of items i’m stuck on but have been actively reading and googling to solve, but I’m coming to my frustration point on a couple issues and may have to post another question to be pointed in the right direction.