This article explains the pre-requisites & the steps to register VisiBroker in GUI mode in supported operating systems. The latest VisiBroker version 8.5's supported platforms can be referred here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx.
If you have not installed VisiBroker yet, please refer the Installation and registration of VisiBroker 8.5 in GUI mode article to install and register VisiBroker.
1. For the license registration of VisiBroker, you have to have a BDN account. You should setup an account in this link: http://reg.borland.com/srs5/new_user.jsp if you don’t have one. In case, you have forgotten the BDN account password, please contact support and they will help you to reset it.
2. Please record down the username, and password (for the BDN account you’ve just created).
3. It’s important to know if you’ve got internet access in your machine(where you have installed VisiBroker). If you do not have, please make sure you’ve got a laptop or machine that’s got access to the internet.
4. You also need to make sure that this laptop/machine (not the machine where you are installing VisiBroker) has got internet access to receive emails (the same email address that you’ve used to create the BDN account).
Running through the pre-requisites, you’ve now have a BDN account for the registration setup. You should also have your License Serial Number (20 alpha numeric characters), Authorization key (6 alpha numeric characters) ready as well. You should also be armed with a laptop/machine that can access http://reg.borland.com/ and can receive emails on the same email address you use for your BDN account.
1. Navigate to the directory where you have installed VisiBroker. Default folder is C:\MicroFocus\VisiBroker for VisiBroker 8.5.
2. Double click "lmadmw.exe".
3. Next Step, you need to choose “Have Serial Number” option.
4. Next Step is to enter your 20 character license serial number and 6 character authorization key.
5. Next Step, you need to choose the mode in which you want to register the license. If the current machine has direct internet access, please choose "Direct" to proceed with the license registration in step 6. If otherwise, please choose “Web page” and proceed to step 12.
6. Next Step, you need to choose “I have an account” as you have created a BDN account earlier.
7. Next Step, enter login name or email address and password of the BDN account.
8. Next Step, click Next if you do not have any proxies configured. If otherwise, configure them.
9. Next Step, you need to click Next in Information Summary dialog to proceed with the registration.
10. After the registration is successful, you will shown the following dialog window.
11. Next Step, click Next to Finish the registration.
12. If the machine does not have direct internet access, then choose “Web page” option and click Next.
13. Please note down the registration key displayed in the next window and click Finish.
14. Now, go to http://reg.borland.com in your laptop/desktop (not the machine where you are installing the product). You will be presented with a screen as shown below.
16. Please provide the 20_characters_license _serial_number and registration key noted down from the installation console and click "Continue" button.
17. Then, enter the BDN account and password and click "Login" as shown in the screen shot below. You should already be armed with a BDN account as this was the pre-requisite before installing.
18. Next, you will be taken to a page which shows the email address where the reg*.txt will be sent. And, on clicking "Register", you will be sent an email with the reg*.txt.
19. Check your email. You should receive an email with Subject header Borland Product Registration. In that email, you will be receiving an attachment named reg*.txt.
20. You need to copy this file and put it into the VisiBroker installation machine’s <VBROKERDIR>/license folder.
You have now registered VisiBroker successfully either with direct internet access or registering using web option.
1. Open a windows command prompt and go to <VBROKERDIR>\bin folder. Default folder is C:\MicroFocus\VisiBroker.
2. Setup VisiBroker environment by running "vbroker.bat".
3. Go to <VBROKERDIR>\examples\vbroker\basic\bank_agent example folder to compile and run the server to verify if the installation has been installed properly.
4. Compile the example using the supported compiler of the OS where you are installing VisiBroker. You can refer VisiBroker 8.5 supported compilers here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx
Normally, if the "nmake" is in PATH, you will need to invoke "nmake -f Makefile_cpp" for CPP example and "vbmake.bat" for java example. But please make sure that your compiler in the OS is a VisiBroker supported one.
5. Once the compilation is successful, run "osagent" from the same folder. This is a lookup service from where clients will receive the Server's IOR.
6. Then start the server as follows:
VisiBroker for C :
VisiBroker for Java:
7. The Server should start fine and display the object reference which is hosted by this server.
You have now registered and verified VisiBroker successfully.
If you encounter any license related issues during verification, please refer License Error Codes wiki for the explanation of license error codes and the respective solution.