Visual COBOL Standalone Install w/Visual Studio Trial

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 07 June 2011]

I have Visual COBOL installed as a standalone version but would like to try out multi-language support with the trial of Visual Studio 2010. Will Visual COBOL recognize Visual Studio 2010 if installed after Visual COBOL, or is Visual Studio 2010 required to be installed prior to Visual COBOL?

Help appreciated! Thank you!
Parents
  • Verified Answer

In relation to "standalone" I assume the OP is referring to using Visual COBOL for native compiling. Visual COBOL can compile and run COBOL without Visual Studio. This means using a different editor and compiling at the command line.

The Visual Studio 2010 Intergrated Shell version is sufficent for using Visual COBOL.
    I think it's Visual Studio that will "find" Visual COBOL rather than the other way around, as Visual COBOL will be compiled "within" Visual Studio, with directives, etc, being set-up within Visual Studio (sorry I can't remember how!).

However, The Readme for R3 does say that Visual Studio needs to be installed before Visual COBOL.

Edit - Corrected for error in original post.

• Verified Answer

In relation to "standalone" I assume the OP is referring to using Visual COBOL for native compiling. Visual COBOL can compile and run COBOL without Visual Studio. This means using a different editor and compiling at the command line.

The Visual Studio 2010 Intergrated Shell version is sufficent for using Visual COBOL.
    I think it's Visual Studio that will "find" Visual COBOL rather than the other way around, as Visual COBOL will be compiled "within" Visual Studio, with directives, etc, being set-up within Visual Studio (sorry I can't remember how!).

However, The Readme for R3 does say that Visual Studio needs to be installed before Visual COBOL.

Edit - Corrected for error in original post.

Children
No Data