How to refresh MF dialog obj from a program?

Hi there,

Is there an MF dialog GUI method to refresh an object only i.e. not set focus on it?

For example to enable an object i just do this. Is there a refresh equivalent method?

CALL 'GUI-enable' using my-dialog-object-handle. 

GUI.cbl ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$set mfoo
class-control.
AbstractWindow is class "awindow".

working-storage section.
01 obj object reference value null.

linkage section.
01 hand pic x(4) comp-5.

procedure division.

entry 'GUI-enable' using hand.
    *> enable object from handle...
     invoke abstractWindow "fromHandle" using hand returning obj.
     invoke obj "enable".
     invoke obj "destroyproxy" returning obj.
     goback.

Many thanks,

Linden

Parents
  • Hi Linden,

Glad you have least come right and got something working.

I don't work for Micro Focus, but I tend to find myself on the bleeding edge of technology and asking Micro Focus to come to the party and enhance product or help in something we might be doing.

Win forms was not on my list at all. For lots of COBOL software houses the thought of bringing their applications into the current day can often seem like a daunting task and depending on how deeply they have coded around certain technologies like the dialog system can make life much harder. For example a huge majority of our dialog is controlled using native code and win api's - lots of our programs we exceeded the number of objects allowed in dialog, or we wanted to employ some 3rd party controls - this is a rewrite of the whole interface.

Demand from our customers say "We want your application in the cloud" or "we want a web front end" and "can we use your application on a mobile device?". um and "What about bots?" ........we actually do all of these things.

But if you look at your own application have you got a future path or road map of getting there?
    Are you still on Net Express or have you moved to Visual COBOL?

Converting raw dialog system is not to bad, Micro Focus can help you with vendors that perhaps have tools to help you, but often rewriting the interface has no direct benefit for the customer and you could spend 5 years doing it instead of adding better or new functionality into your product.

Obviously this is all dependent of the type of application you have, is it in-house or if you sell in on and the platforms you support.

I think for all of us, these are exciting times, Azure PAAS (Platform as a service), where installing software doesn't happen, instead you publish your COBOL code as a service. Now you need an interface for the consumer - what are you going to use? Do you have to think about IoT (Internet of Things)?

Today we still can use COBOL code written 30 years ago on Azure!!!! Fantastic - well done Micro Focus.

But in 30 years the demand from consumers on how they use the product has change dramatically. We have gone from green screens, to dialog system, people using the old brick (Huge battery) style cell phones to iPhones or Android phones, tablets, other integrated devices.....and now we have VR and Microsoft Hololens as input devices or for visual feed back.

How about using the Amazon dot for your product? - it's ALL doable as well as fun to do.

We now have 64 bit operating systems......what are you going to do when Microsoft stop support for 32 bit? (Dialog system is 32 bit only). - Yes, it's not going to happen overnight but will you be ready and what's the cost?

All I say is think about the road ahead :)

Neil
  • Hi Linden,

Glad you have least come right and got something working.

I don't work for Micro Focus, but I tend to find myself on the bleeding edge of technology and asking Micro Focus to come to the party and enhance product or help in something we might be doing.

Win forms was not on my list at all. For lots of COBOL software houses the thought of bringing their applications into the current day can often seem like a daunting task and depending on how deeply they have coded around certain technologies like the dialog system can make life much harder. For example a huge majority of our dialog is controlled using native code and win api's - lots of our programs we exceeded the number of objects allowed in dialog, or we wanted to employ some 3rd party controls - this is a rewrite of the whole interface.

Demand from our customers say "We want your application in the cloud" or "we want a web front end" and "can we use your application on a mobile device?". um and "What about bots?" ........we actually do all of these things.

But if you look at your own application have you got a future path or road map of getting there?
    Are you still on Net Express or have you moved to Visual COBOL?

Converting raw dialog system is not to bad, Micro Focus can help you with vendors that perhaps have tools to help you, but often rewriting the interface has no direct benefit for the customer and you could spend 5 years doing it instead of adding better or new functionality into your product.

Obviously this is all dependent of the type of application you have, is it in-house or if you sell in on and the platforms you support.

I think for all of us, these are exciting times, Azure PAAS (Platform as a service), where installing software doesn't happen, instead you publish your COBOL code as a service. Now you need an interface for the consumer - what are you going to use? Do you have to think about IoT (Internet of Things)?

Today we still can use COBOL code written 30 years ago on Azure!!!! Fantastic - well done Micro Focus.

But in 30 years the demand from consumers on how they use the product has change dramatically. We have gone from green screens, to dialog system, people using the old brick (Huge battery) style cell phones to iPhones or Android phones, tablets, other integrated devices.....and now we have VR and Microsoft Hololens as input devices or for visual feed back.

How about using the Amazon dot for your product? - it's ALL doable as well as fun to do.

We now have 64 bit operating systems......what are you going to do when Microsoft stop support for 32 bit? (Dialog system is 32 bit only). - Yes, it's not going to happen overnight but will you be ready and what's the cost?

All I say is think about the road ahead :)

Neil
Children
No Data