Message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when removing an object

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 08 February 2011]

We have designed a form with controls.
Those controls have there own events.
Building the entire solution is going well.
When deleting one of those controls and then rebuilding the entire solution will result in an error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
What else must I do besides deleting the control?

This not only happens when I delete an object. I get the same error when I only resize an object a little bit!
Before resizing the object the solution build went ok, afterwards the solution build or any save will result in the error message.
  • What release of Visual COBOL are you using?
    Look in Help->About Visual Studio and select Visual COBOL 2010.
    What is the version number?

I recall that there were problems previously with deleting controls that had events defined for them as the control itself would be deleted but in some cases references to the control were left behind in the .designer.cbl code.

I think that this has been fixed.

This sounds like a better candidate for a Technical Support incident than a forum posting.
    If you are currently on maintenance then I would highly recommend that you open up a support incident for this problem with MF Customer Care so that we can track it and ensure that it gets resolved in a timely manner.

This forum is not meant to be a replacement for Technical Support...

Thanks.
  • I am using Visual COBOL 2010 R3 Version 1.2.00054.
    This is a trial version.
    In the trial-period we want to see if this product meets our requirements for developing our future payroll system.
    If this is not the latest version, can we download an update while using a trial version?
    If this is the latest version, i will open a support incident.
  • Verified Answer

You have the current version of Visual COBOL R3. Probably best to open an incident at this point.