Visual COBOL R3 - Recommended machine setup

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 March 2011]

Have currently got Visual COBOL R3 under evaluation running on a Windows XP SP3 machine with 2GB RAM.

Have set up a test project containing 250 projects and programs (as our NE5.1 projects contain DOUBLE this amount of work). VisCOBOL will stop running when swapping from a DEBUG build to a RELEASE build option and memory seems to be the issue.

Could anyone tell me what RAM / machine setup would be a good guide to try this size project on?
Parents
  • Mark S. originally wrote:
    I'm "trying to change the build type from Debug to Release".

The VISCOBOL workbench hangs and requires a reboot.

Smaller project sizes have no problem.

Please pardon me for jumping in . . .

I'm assuming that you created a new solution under VS2010 but since you mention that it's rather large, I also realize that you may have converted an existing VS2008 solution. Therefore, if you did migrate a VS 2008 sln to a VS 2010 sln, I'd try creating a brand new solution and then manually add the projects/files from the solution with the problem. Yes, I realize that the only significant difference seems to be the size of the solution in terms of numbers of files and projects included but there's also the possibility that the .sln file itself or possibly project files under it may have gotten corrupted somehow.

Also are there any other add-ins to your Visual Studio? If so, you might try removing them because they may be causing an issue. Again, I realize that the size of the solution seems to be the cause of the problem but I wouldn't automatically rule out other factors.

--
    Onorio
  • Mark S. originally wrote:
    I'm "trying to change the build type from Debug to Release".

The VISCOBOL workbench hangs and requires a reboot.

Smaller project sizes have no problem.

Please pardon me for jumping in . . .

I'm assuming that you created a new solution under VS2010 but since you mention that it's rather large, I also realize that you may have converted an existing VS2008 solution. Therefore, if you did migrate a VS 2008 sln to a VS 2010 sln, I'd try creating a brand new solution and then manually add the projects/files from the solution with the problem. Yes, I realize that the only significant difference seems to be the size of the solution in terms of numbers of files and projects included but there's also the possibility that the .sln file itself or possibly project files under it may have gotten corrupted somehow.

Also are there any other add-ins to your Visual Studio? If so, you might try removing them because they may be causing an issue. Again, I realize that the size of the solution seems to be the cause of the problem but I wouldn't automatically rule out other factors.

--
    Onorio
Children
No Data