Visual COBOL R3 - Recommended machine setup

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 March 2011]

Have currently got Visual COBOL R3 under evaluation running on a Windows XP SP3 machine with 2GB RAM.

Have set up a test project containing 250 projects and programs (as our NE5.1 projects contain DOUBLE this amount of work). VisCOBOL will stop running when swapping from a DEBUG build to a RELEASE build option and memory seems to be the issue.

Could anyone tell me what RAM / machine setup would be a good guide to try this size project on?
  • The project was created from scratch as we're moving from NE5 to VISCOBOL.

The installation of the product was a generic set up so if there's stuff we can take out, or remove, then please let me know how this can be done as as the moment we don't have a satisfactory solution to this problem.
  • You need to contact support and open up an incident for this issue.
    If you e-mail your customer information to me then I can do this for you.

Please send name, company name, serial number etc. to:
    chris.glazier@microfocus.com

Please do not post this information to this web forum.

Thanks.
  • Mark S. originally wrote:
    The project was created from scratch as we're moving from NE5 to VISCOBOL.

The installation of the product was a generic set up so if there's stuff we can take out, or remove, then please let me know how this can be done as as the moment we don't have a satisfactory solution to this problem.

I was referring to any add-ins that may have been present in Visual Studio before you installed Visual COBOL but it sounds as if there were no Visual Studio add-ins present.

I would be a bit surprised if the size of the solution was the important factor but whether it is or it is not Chris is right; this is not the best place to address this issue. You should send the info that Chris requested and he can get the ball rolling with our tech support.

--
    Onorio

I was referring to any add-ins that may have been present in Visual Studio before you installed Visual COBOL but it sounds as if there were no Visual Studio add-ins present.

I would be a bit surprised if the size of the solution was the important factor but whether it is or it is not Chris is right; this is not the best place to address this issue. You should send the info that Chris requested and he can get the ball rolling with our tech support.

--
    Onorio

--
    Onorio
  • Verified Answer

We have now taken this issue off-line and it is being handled by Micro Focus SupportLine.