static method

I am working with winforms and in the file section I have a file that needs to be accessed from a static method.  I get the following error message on fields that are associated with that file...error code COBCH0969, Cannot access object data from a static method or field.    In order to fix these compile errors I put the keyword static on the FD of the file.  When I run the program in this way I get a runtime error of NullRefernceException -- object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

Now I realize that I could make the method as public and my problems would go away, but I really don't want to have to do this.  How can I resolve this issue?  Thanks

Tags:

Parents
  • Did you mean "a co-worker is running pretty much the same software and he is NOT having issues."

Try uninstalling Visual COBOL 2.2 and then also uninstalling the Visual Studio 2010 Shell and then reinstalling Visual COBOL 2.2 so that it reinstalls the Visual Studio Shell as well.

Thanks.

• Did you mean "a co-worker is running pretty much the same software and he is NOT having issues."

Try uninstalling Visual COBOL 2.2 and then also uninstalling the Visual Studio 2010 Shell and then reinstalling Visual COBOL 2.2 so that it reinstalls the Visual Studio Shell as well.

Thanks.

Children
No Data