Problem executing a COBOL program with JVM as remote.

Hello everyone,

I am facing a problem executing a COBOL program as java on a remote unix machine. I think I am missing a piece of information to properly set/execute my Hello World program. I am using VisualCOBOL 2.1 with eclipse.

I have created 2 projects, one local and the other one remote (HP-UX). On the local project (New->Cobol  JVM project), I have been able to New->Cobol Program, add a display call in the procedure division and executing the program.

On the remote project (New->Cobol Remote Project) I have added New->Cobol Program and added my display call in the procedure division. Meanwhile, attempting to execute my program generated the following error:

An internal error occurred during: "Launching HWJVM".
java.lang.NullPointerException

When I look at the Run Configuration, I can see that my local project will execute as a "COBOL Application" while my remote one as a "Java Application".

There might be someting missing in my settings. Any idea?

Is there a way to execute the generated .class file directly? If I try I receive an error saying that a main could not be found.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Great!  Thanks ppimental, this is exactly the kind of information that I needed.

First, I was not aware of the cobjrun command, meaning that I have started my investigation with the improper documentation.  I have found some info now about it and have been able to execute my Hello World program.

Second, my Unix installation doesn't have the cobsje and I will need to investigate why.  I have found info referencing it on the web but my installation doesn't have this.

I have just find the connection properties of the Cobol Application launch configuration. For a normal Cobol application, the X Server is already set to my machine address with 0:0 port.  I don't understand what you wanted me to do, but I will try to read more about this subject.

Thanks for providing me those info that will help me to find the proper documentation.

• Great!  Thanks ppimental, this is exactly the kind of information that I needed.

First, I was not aware of the cobjrun command, meaning that I have started my investigation with the improper documentation.  I have found some info now about it and have been able to execute my Hello World program.

Second, my Unix installation doesn't have the cobsje and I will need to investigate why.  I have found info referencing it on the web but my installation doesn't have this.

I have just find the connection properties of the Cobol Application launch configuration. For a normal Cobol application, the X Server is already set to my machine address with 0:0 port.  I don't understand what you wanted me to do, but I will try to read more about this subject.

Thanks for providing me those info that will help me to find the proper documentation.

Children
No Data