Is it possible to NOT REFERENCE called programs from your main program.

Our existing NET EXPRESS system has a MAIN program in in called REPORTS.CBL.

Within the program there are calls made to upward of 100 potential bespoke report 'sub-programs'.

In Visual COBOL I've found that these 'sub-programs' must be mentioned in the REFERENCES of the main program otherwise the sub program will fail to load when called.

The problem is is that it takes an increasing amount of time to complie the VC COBOL version of the MAIN program as all the sub-program references are added.

Thirty references takes 3 minutes. Sixty takes 6 minutes and 100 references takes almost 10 minutes just to compile the program then another several minutes while it 'thinks' about doing a debug (if requested to do so!!)

Is there a way of calling out to other programs (.dll built) WITHOUT referencing them within the MAIN program as this would be a big help if there is!

Parents
  • In the end I added an APP.CFG file to all my solutions which required call outs to DLLs.

This had to contain the following code...

<runtime>

<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />

</runtime>

The reson for this was that all our .DLL programs reside on the network drives and without this code the calling programs were unable to find the called programs and produced a runtime error when attempting to call them.

Another item for the knowlege database methinks!

• In the end I added an APP.CFG file to all my solutions which required call outs to DLLs.

This had to contain the following code...

<runtime>

<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />

</runtime>

The reson for this was that all our .DLL programs reside on the network drives and without this code the calling programs were unable to find the called programs and produced a runtime error when attempting to call them.

Another item for the knowlege database methinks!

Children
No Data