I'm connecting to a MySQL db from Visual COBOL on Windows 10 and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with.
I have watched Chris Glazier's useful MF video, 'Database Access Using ODBC with Visual COBOL' .
(1) I'm assuming 32 bit throughout? I am using defaults in VC which I believe is 32 bit?
(2) When setting up my ODBC DSN I have the option of a 'unicode' MySQL 32-bit driver or an 'ansi' one. Which should I use and why?
(3) Simplest db sign-in? In our Windows production environment we have (a) standalone machines, (b) server/client and (c) servers with users connecting with RDT. Is it easier to use built-in windows automatic security or have a specific MySQL username and password which is then specified in the programs. Simplifying deployment is my aim.
(4) In a Windows production server/client environment... is (a) the odbc driver needed on each client machine, (b) with an odbc dsn pointing from the client to the server MySQL db?
(5) Are there other MF videos you would suggest to help with Visual COBOL SQL db access. I will be using MF OpenESQL
Thank you in advance. I imagine I'll have more questions as I go!