compile not creating .o or .gnt file

Hi,

I'm new to the community so I hope I'm asking the question correctly.  I installed Visual Studio 2017 for personal use and microfocus COBOL.  When I load the program in, the build button is displayed.  The compile button is displayed under it.  The compile completes with no errors - very simple program.  I do not have a run button and debug doesn't have a button to step through the program.  When I check the folder where the program is, I have a .int file but no .o or .gnt file.  What do I need to do to be able to run this very simple program?

Thanks,

Chuck Dial

Parents
  • You have not added the program to a project or the program and the project would show under the solution name in the Solution Explorer window. It looks like you are using source control for your programs.

If you go to File-->New-->Project in the IDE menu and create your project there it should then create a project file with the extension .cblproj and a solution file with the extension .sln. If you then add programs to the projects by right-clicking the project name and selecting Add-->Existing Item and then navigating to and selecting your program it will be added to the project. You should then be able to edit, compile, debug it without a problem.

If you close Visual Studio and reopen it then you need to use File-->Open Project/Solution and then navigate to where the .sln file is and open that in order for it to reopen the solution and project.
  • You have not added the program to a project or the program and the project would show under the solution name in the Solution Explorer window. It looks like you are using source control for your programs.

If you go to File-->New-->Project in the IDE menu and create your project there it should then create a project file with the extension .cblproj and a solution file with the extension .sln. If you then add programs to the projects by right-clicking the project name and selecting Add-->Existing Item and then navigating to and selecting your program it will be added to the project. You should then be able to edit, compile, debug it without a problem.

If you close Visual Studio and reopen it then you need to use File-->Open Project/Solution and then navigate to where the .sln file is and open that in order for it to reopen the solution and project.
Children
No Data