.Net, Managed, or Native

Is it worth learning native cobol or should i jump right into .net or managed?  Thoughts?

Parents
  • It depends on your situation. I have many native COBOL programs I maintain that were written over several decades. These I am keeping in native COBOL because I can simply recompile the NetExpress code using the Visual COBOL compiler and they run. However, all new programs I write will be in managed COBOL because they can take full advantage of the Windows environment within which I work. I have one managed COBOL program that serves as a menu to run native COBOL programs. They can coexist. If you are just learning COBOL, I don't see any advantage to learning native. It is, from my limited perspective, a subset of managed COBOL.
  • It depends on your situation. I have many native COBOL programs I maintain that were written over several decades. These I am keeping in native COBOL because I can simply recompile the NetExpress code using the Visual COBOL compiler and they run. However, all new programs I write will be in managed COBOL because they can take full advantage of the Windows environment within which I work. I have one managed COBOL program that serves as a menu to run native COBOL programs. They can coexist. If you are just learning COBOL, I don't see any advantage to learning native. It is, from my limited perspective, a subset of managed COBOL.
Children
No Data