Visual Studio - build/debug/compile behavior, Native multi-project solutions vs. Managed multi-project solutions

Visual Studio 2013, Visual COBOL 2.2

Please confirm as to whether this is expected or default VS behavior or not.

Assume a Native solution with two projects and a Managed solution with two projects

It appears that Visual Studio behaves differently on Native multi-project solutions vs. Managed multi-project solutions in respect to the following:

When you click DEBUG at the top menu of VS and then choose either Start Debugging or Start Without Debugging ...

on a Native solution, it will build only the first project (program) (the one designated as the start-up-project) of say, a two-project (two-program) solution, before it starts it,

whereas on a Managed solution, it will build both projects (programs or classes) of say, a two-project solution, before it starts it.

On both the Native solution and the Managed solution, the Configuration Manager has Build checked for both projects of each solution.

Thanks,

Austin

Parents
  • While I agree that's how it's supposed to work in principle, I've never been able to discourage Visual Studio from building everything in a managed solution when asked to start for debugging.

That's why I nearly always build from the command line using:

msbuild file.cblproj /p:BuildProjectReferences=false /p:Platform=AnyCPU

(Feldman's make got dependency-graph construction correct in 1976, but apparently it's still beyond the capability of Visual Studio.)

Then if I need to debug, I start the program and attach the debugger to it. I only use start-for-debugging if I really need to debug it from startup.
  • While I agree that's how it's supposed to work in principle, I've never been able to discourage Visual Studio from building everything in a managed solution when asked to start for debugging.

That's why I nearly always build from the command line using:

msbuild file.cblproj /p:BuildProjectReferences=false /p:Platform=AnyCPU

(Feldman's make got dependency-graph construction correct in 1976, but apparently it's still beyond the capability of Visual Studio.)

Then if I need to debug, I start the program and attach the debugger to it. I only use start-for-debugging if I really need to debug it from startup.
Children
No Data