COBSQL Question

Hi All,

Is there any solution to use COBSQL directives with oracle pro*cobol with FREE or VARIABLE source format?

I've tried with variable sourceformat. The precompiled source (.cs9) is ok but the second phase of the compilation hang....

I'm sad to keep fixed format in Visual COBOL

Platform:Visual COBOL for eclipse with hub on linux.

Thanks.
Franck.

Parents
  • I am afraid that this is a restriction of Pro*COBOL itself, which is an Oracle product and has nothing to do with COBSQL which only interfaces Visual COBOL to Pro*COBOL for doing the actual source translation.

OpenESQL (which is a Micro Focus developed solution) does not have this restriction and will work with FREE or VARIABLE formats.

According to the Pro*COBOL Programming Guide:

Coding Area

You must code EXEC SQL and EXEC ORACLE statements in columns 12 through 72 (columns 73 through 80 are ignored).

Note: The precompiler option FORMAT, specifies the format of COBOL input lines. If you specify FORMAT=ANSI (default), columns 1 through 6 can contain an optional sequence number, and column 7 indicates comments or continuation lines. Division headers, section headers, paragraph names, FD and 01 statements begin in columns 8 through 11 (area A). Other statements begin in columns 12 through 72 (area B).

If you specify FORMAT=TERMINAL, columns 1 through 6 are omitted, making column 7 the left-most column.

Note: In this manual, program examples use the FORMAT=TERMINAL setting. The online sample programs use FORMAT=ANSI.

Thanks.

• I am afraid that this is a restriction of Pro*COBOL itself, which is an Oracle product and has nothing to do with COBSQL which only interfaces Visual COBOL to Pro*COBOL for doing the actual source translation.

OpenESQL (which is a Micro Focus developed solution) does not have this restriction and will work with FREE or VARIABLE formats.

According to the Pro*COBOL Programming Guide:

Coding Area

You must code EXEC SQL and EXEC ORACLE statements in columns 12 through 72 (columns 73 through 80 are ignored).

Note: The precompiler option FORMAT, specifies the format of COBOL input lines. If you specify FORMAT=ANSI (default), columns 1 through 6 can contain an optional sequence number, and column 7 indicates comments or continuation lines. Division headers, section headers, paragraph names, FD and 01 statements begin in columns 8 through 11 (area A). Other statements begin in columns 12 through 72 (area B).

If you specify FORMAT=TERMINAL, columns 1 through 6 are omitted, making column 7 the left-most column.

Note: In this manual, program examples use the FORMAT=TERMINAL setting. The online sample programs use FORMAT=ANSI.

Thanks.

Children
No Data