numeric fields

moving space to a numeric field will initialize it with zeroes (compiler message: COBCH1026E Source literal is non-numeric - substituting zero). A numeric test is succesfull (which causes consequential error). Is there a directive to avoid this - I didn't find any.

thanks in advance

Harald

Parents
  • Verified Answer

This only occurs during compilation if the compiler recognizes a statement that is trying to move an illegal value into a numeric field as this is not allowed.

So if you have something like:

01 my-group.

05 num-field  pic 9(5).

01 aspace pic x value space.

and you try:

move space to num-field   *> you will get zero substitution because compiler knows illegal value

but if you use instead the data-item aspace

move aspace to num-field *> no compiler error but you may get rts163 error at run-time. if test for 0 fails

if you move spaces to the group item you will not get compiler error but may get rts163 error at run-time but if test for 0 fails

move space to my-group

if num-field = 0

display "yes"

else

display "no"

end-if

• Verified Answer

This only occurs during compilation if the compiler recognizes a statement that is trying to move an illegal value into a numeric field as this is not allowed.

So if you have something like:

01 my-group.

05 num-field  pic 9(5).

01 aspace pic x value space.

and you try:

move space to num-field   *> you will get zero substitution because compiler knows illegal value

but if you use instead the data-item aspace

move aspace to num-field *> no compiler error but you may get rts163 error at run-time. if test for 0 fails

if you move spaces to the group item you will not get compiler error but may get rts163 error at run-time but if test for 0 fails

move space to my-group

if num-field = 0

display "yes"

else

display "no"

end-if

Children
No Data