*The Relativity Designer Help file discusses this topic in detail. However, the following is a simple guide to setting it up. This guide assumes that you have created a new catalog and have imported the FDs of all the files you wish to use.
**All files MUST have the same structure and data definition. If you wish to 'merge' data from files that have dissimilar structures, then create a table per file and merge the data in your ODBC enabled application using SQL JOIN.
1. Open each FD, right click, and select Add File Label. Ensure the name is unique for each FD. It helps to give the File Label the same name as the FD.
2. Create a table and drag all the fields (including the File Label field) from the first FD.
3. Click the table connection toolbar button. You should see the table connection for the first FD. For each FD (data file), highlight the element Table Name and click the add table connection toolbar button. For the Path Name enter the name of the data file to access and for the File Label enter the associated file label for the FD.
4. Now delete the first table connection using the remove table connection toolbar button. Add the first FD again using the add table connection toolbar button. For the Path Name enter the name of the data file to access and for the File Label enter the associated file label for the FD. (This step is required because there is a known problem when adding the first FD, and the file label data is does not get imported).
5. Save the table.
6. You should now be able to preview your data by using the data preview toolbar button. The file label field should contain the correct file label from it's given FD.