What's bloke to do?

Unless I'm missing something, I've been waiting for this capability for a long time.
We have a medium size SLES XEN based infrastructure (40 virtuals) with No VMWARE in sight! (We use VBOX for experimentation)

Does this mean I can't run filr unless I break our model and introduce VMWARE? Or will I be able to install and run filr on a SLES 11 infrastructure?
Thanks
Eric.
  • I have no expirience with VBOX.
    I use KVM to rum the FiLR. Convert the image with:
    # qemu-img convert -O qcow2 FiLR...vmdk FiLR...qcow2
    copy the qcow2-Image file to the storage location and start it with the virtual Maschine Manager.
  • ucba;2261180 wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something, I've been waiting for this capability for a long time.
    We have a medium size SLES XEN based infrastructure (40 virtuals) with No VMWARE in sight! (We use VBOX for experimentation)

    Does this mean I can't run filr unless I break our model and introduce VMWARE? Or will I be able to install and run filr on a SLES 11 infrastructure?
    Thanks
    Eric.


    Along with Thomas's reply:

    Filr can run on Xen, to run it optimally you will need to "tinker" with the appliance to get the correct Xen kernel packages installed.

    From what I've heard, you should be able to import the ova into VirtualBox without to much hassle... that would seem the easiest route to get things running.

    Any idea how large this deployment will be (users
  • On 01/05/2013 09:46, magic31 wrote:

    > Along with Thomas's reply:
    >
    > Filr can run on Xen, to run it optimally you will need to "tinker" with
    > the appliance to get the correct Xen kernel packages installed.
    >
    > From what I've heard, you should be able to import the ova into
    > VirtualBox without to much hassle... that would seem the easiest route
    > to get things running.


    Please note that running the Filr Appliance on anything other than
    VMware ESXi/ESX is currently unsupported. That doesn't mean that it
    doesn't work though.

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
    If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
    Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Simon Flood wrote:

    > Please note that running the Filr Appliance on anything other than
    > VMware ESXi/ESX is currently unsupported. That doesn't mean that it
    > doesn't work though.


    Correct, all good points throughout the thread so far. While it's only
    supported under VMware, there were multiple beta/tech preview customers
    who successfully ran filr under both Xen and Hyper-V so it appears to
    work under other hypervisors.

    More long term, adding support for additional hypervisors is being
    investigated.

    --
    Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
    We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/
  • ThomasHopp;2261200 wrote:
    I have no expirience with VBOX.
    I use KVM to rum the FiLR. Convert the image with:
    # qemu-img convert -O qcow2 FiLR...vmdk FiLR...qcow2
    copy the qcow2-Image file to the storage location and start it with the virtual Maschine Manager.


    We ran the beta on Xen, seemed to work fine. Used VirtualBox to open (import) the ovf file. Then used qemu-img to convert it to a raw file:
    # qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk Filr...vmdk -O raw filename.raw
    When we created the Xen vm, pointed it to this raw file for the hard disk, and if you are using a secondary hard disk pointed that to another empty raw file, then just ran it as a fully virtualized machine. Magic31 mentioned tinkering with the appliance to get it to work I assume he means making it para-virtualized, haven't figured out how to do that successfully yet.


  • >>>


    > ThomasHopp;2261200 Wrote:
    >> I have no expirience with VBOX.
    >> I use KVM to rum the FiLR. Convert the image with:
    >> # qemu-img convert -O qcow2 FiLR...vmdk FiLR...qcow2
    >> copy the qcow2-Image file to the storage location and start it with the
    >> virtual Maschine Manager.

    >
    > We ran the beta on Xen, seemed to work fine. Used VirtualBox to open
    > (import) the ovf file. Then used qemu-img to convert it to a raw file:
    > # qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk Filr...vmdk -O raw filename.raw
    > When we created the Xen vm, pointed it to this raw file for the hard
    > disk, and if you are using a secondary hard disk pointed that to another
    > empty raw file, then just ran it as a fully virtualized machine. Magic31
    > mentioned tinkering with the appliance to get it to work I assume he
    > means making it para-virtualized, haven't figured out how to do that
    > successfully yet.


    For running it in XEN with PV I just had to install the kernel-xen and
    modify fstab in the domU and obviously modify the domU config..
    (not supported - but seems to work)
  • Martin Weiss wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>>

    >
    >> ThomasHopp;2261200 Wrote:
    >>> I have no expirience with VBOX.
    >>> I use KVM to rum the FiLR. Convert the image with:
    >>> # qemu-img convert -O qcow2 FiLR...vmdk FiLR...qcow2
    >>> copy the qcow2-Image file to the storage location and start it with the
    >>> virtual Maschine Manager.

    >>
    >> We ran the beta on Xen, seemed to work fine. Used VirtualBox to open
    >> (import) the ovf file. Then used qemu-img to convert it to a raw file:
    >> # qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk Filr...vmdk -O raw filename.raw
    >> When we created the Xen vm, pointed it to this raw file for the hard
    >> disk, and if you are using a secondary hard disk pointed that to another
    >> empty raw file, then just ran it as a fully virtualized machine. Magic31
    >> mentioned tinkering with the appliance to get it to work I assume he
    >> means making it para-virtualized, haven't figured out how to do that
    >> successfully yet.

    >
    > For running it in XEN with PV I just had to install the kernel-xen and
    > modify fstab in the domU and obviously modify the domU config..
    > (not supported - but seems to work)


    So did you add repositories and sles updating for this to work? That is the
    only way I can see to get the proper kernel installed.




  • >>>

    > Martin Weiss wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>>>>

    >>
    >>> ThomasHopp;2261200 Wrote:
    >>>> I have no expirience with VBOX.
    >>>> I use KVM to rum the FiLR. Convert the image with:
    >>>> # qemu-img convert -O qcow2 FiLR...vmdk FiLR...qcow2
    >>>> copy the qcow2-Image file to the storage location and start it with

    the
    >>>> virtual Maschine Manager.
    >>>
    >>> We ran the beta on Xen, seemed to work fine. Used VirtualBox to open
    >>> (import) the ovf file. Then used qemu-img to convert it to a raw file:
    >>> # qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk Filr...vmdk -O raw filename.raw
    >>> When we created the Xen vm, pointed it to this raw file for the hard
    >>> disk, and if you are using a secondary hard disk pointed that to

    another
    >>> empty raw file, then just ran it as a fully virtualized machine.

    Magic31
    >>> mentioned tinkering with the appliance to get it to work I assume he
    >>> means making it para-virtualized, haven't figured out how to do that
    >>> successfully yet.

    >>
    >> For running it in XEN with PV I just had to install the kernel-xen and
    >> modify fstab in the domU and obviously modify the domU config..
    >> (not supported - but seems to work)

    >
    > So did you add repositories and sles updating for this to work? That is
    > the
    > only way I can see to get the proper kernel installed.


    Yes - I just copied /etc/zypp/repos.d/* and /etc/zypp/services.d/*
    from an other SLES 11 SP2 box to the filr appliance,
    and then did a "zypper ref
  • We would like a native Xen based VM here as well, please.
  • ucba;2261180 wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something, I've been waiting for this capability for a long time.
    We have a medium size SLES XEN based infrastructure (40 virtuals) with No VMWARE in sight! (We use VBOX for experimentation)

    Does this mean I can't run filr unless I break our model and introduce VMWARE? Or will I be able to install and run filr on a SLES 11 infrastructure?
    Thanks
    Eric.


    Thank you all for your posts. I have to say converting the image didn't occur to me. It's been several years since I've done any converting of images. I will give it ago in the next couple of weeks and I'll post any information not found here already. It would be good to know if and when filr will be supported on XEN. We can probably manage to run unsupported given our in-house capability, but it also alters the risk profile.
    I'll see if filr does actually solve our one last issue. Enterprise file access anywhere!

    Thanks again
    Eric.