GroupWise System address book contact numbers?

Hi All.
Am I missing something? We didn't ever really maintain contact information properly for GroupWise users, because we had another directory service/database for this that didn't sync. And in fairness, nobody ever checked in GroupWise for an employees contact info beyond the email address.

Now, because of a change of systems elsewhere, we want to maintain contact info for each mail user (Office phone number, mobile number etc). In turn, we would expect those contacts to be available on the end user mobile devices (mix of apple and android).

But I've added a small number of phone numbers against users, but I can't get this info onto any of the mobile devices? Is there a setting somewhere to sync the GroupWise system address book on the mobile devices?

Thanks, Alan
  • Hi Alan,

    Currently the GroupWise system address book does not sync to devices.

    This has been requested. You may vote for it here: https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/mf-gw/Idea/Detail/13195

    Cheers,
  • On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 09:36:02 GMT, briggs1
    <briggs1@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

    >
    >Hi All.
    >Am I missing something? We didn't ever really maintain contact
    >information properly for GroupWise users, because we had another
    >directory service/database for this that didn't sync. And in fairness,
    >nobody ever checked in GroupWise for an employees contact info beyond
    >the email address.
    >
    >Now, because of a change of systems elsewhere, we want to maintain
    >contact info for each mail user (Office phone number, mobile number
    >etc). In turn, we would expect those contacts to be available on the end
    >user mobile devices (mix of apple and android).
    >
    >But I've added a small number of phone numbers against users, but I
    >can't get this info onto any of the mobile devices? Is there a setting
    >somewhere to sync the GroupWise system address book on the mobile
    >devices?
    >
    >Thanks, Alan


    Alan,
    As Laura mentioned, the contacts don't sync to an address book.
    However, you can access their info. From an iPhone/iPad, I can open
    the phone or contacts app and select Groups. Then I see our Global
    Address List. Select that and then search a name and you will see the
    person. So there is a way to access the info, just not as convenient
    as having the contact in an address book. Please vote for the
    enhancement request Laura mentioned.

    --
    Ken
    Knowledge Partner

    If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

    Create and vote for enhancements!
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
  • I have voted, it says only 2 votes though! That sucks, I can't believe it's not possible. As for the lookup, I saw that, but it only displays email addresses, I see no numbers?
    Yep, just tried forcing a new sync, and I see the contact (names) and the email addresses, but no numbers.
  • On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:44:02 GMT, briggs1
    <briggs1@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

    >
    >I have voted, it says only 2 votes though! That sucks, I can't believe
    >it's not possible.

    Only 2? I thought I had already voted for that one. So I just added
    my vote.

    >As for the lookup, I saw that, but it only displays
    >email addresses, I see no numbers?
    >Yep, just tried forcing a new sync, and I see the contact (names) and
    >the email addresses, but no numbers.

    So where are your phone numbers entered? In GW Admin, open a user and
    go to the General tab. Under Contact Information, is there a Mobile
    Phone entry with a number? If so, it should display when you do a
    lookup.

    If you only have the phone number entered in their eDirectory account
    (assuming you are using that), you may need to enable sync of the
    mobile phone field into GroupWise.

    --
    Ken
    Knowledge Partner

    If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

    Create and vote for enhancements!
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
  • Sorry for the slow reply...
    So the phone numbers are entered in ACTIVE DIRECTORY. GroupWise syncs with this (LDAP) and if I check the GENERAL tab in the GroupWise Administration portal, I see both PHONE and MOBILE PHONE numbers for a particular contact.

    If I check on my iPhone though, and look up that contact, I see only the email address.

    How do I force an update on Mobility for the address books? And when you say enable sync of the mobile phone field into GroupWise, what do you mean by this? I assume as it's displayed in the General tab, then it's synced?

    Thanks, Alan
  • Hi Alan,

    Do the mobile number display in the address book in the client?

    Cheers,
  • laurabuckley;2479588 wrote:

    Do the mobile number display in the address book in the client?


    Yes, absolutely. Which wasn't the case until I added the field in the admin on the domain, address book, available fields.
  • On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:56:02 GMT, briggs1
    <briggs1@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

    >
    >Sorry for the slow reply...
    >So the phone numbers are entered in ACTIVE DIRECTORY. GroupWise syncs
    >with this (LDAP) and if I check the GENERAL tab in the GroupWise
    >Administration portal, I see both PHONE and MOBILE PHONE numbers for a
    >particular contact.
    >
    >If I check on my iPhone though, and look up that contact, I see only the
    >email address.
    >
    >How do I force an update on Mobility for the address books? And when you
    >say enable sync of the mobile phone field into GroupWise, what do you
    >mean by this? I assume as it's displayed in the General tab, then it's
    >synced?


    Alan,
    Not sure what the AD equivalent is, but to enable sync, you go to MTA
    Scheduled Events. In my case, I have a "Default NDS User
    Synchronization Event". But if you already see the phone number in
    GroupWise, I would assume the sync is occurring. And if it shows up
    in GroupWise, it should be accessible from a device through GMS.

    I'm stumped. Just on a whim, you mention that the numbers didn't show
    up until you added the field...I wonder if restarting the services on
    GMS would cause it to pick up that change. From everything you've
    said,you have things setup correctly and it should just be working.

    --
    Ken
    Knowledge Partner

    If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

    Create and vote for enhancements!
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html