Migrate to GroupWise 18 from GW 2012

I'm looking for moving from GW 2012 to GW 18.
My actual environment is OES 2015 and GW 2012 (all GW services on the same server).
My intention, if possible, is to install a new OES 2018, install GW 18, and move GW DB using dbcopy, reconfigure GW 18 for the new domain and post office folders.

Does this is possible?
I've found that the documentation is very poor, at least for me.

Two more questions.
If I've understood, GW 18 doesn't store users in eDirectory, where they are stored?
And can I move on an OES on a different eDirectory tree?

Thanks,
Fabrizio

•  wrote:

I'm looking for moving from GW 2012 to GW 18.
    My actual environment is OES 2015 and GW 2012 (all GW services on the same server).
    My intention, if possible, is to install a new OES 2018, install GW 18, and move GW DB using dbcopy, reconfigure GW 18 for the new domain and post office folders.

Does this is possible?
    I've found that the documentation is very poor, at least for me.

Does this help?

GroupWise Migrations – A Better Way

If I've understood, GW 18 doesn't store users in eDirectory, where they are stored?

It doesn't need eDirectory but it can use eDirectory just like it always has. If you don't use eDirectory or AD that information is kept in GroupWise.

And can I move on an OES on a different eDirectory tree?

Yes.

• Thank KBOYLE for your reply.
    I've already read the document, and I've found it not fully useful.

As a test, I've copied the domain and post office db on an OES 2018, on different eDirectory. On the new server I don't have any users (this is why my question about users), and I'm not able to find the mistake.

Fabrizio
  • Where do you see "no users"?

A migration of this kind will NOT create users in the new eDirectory tree, so you won't magically see objects in iManager which haven't existed before.

You should, however, see all GW accounts in the GroupWise Admin Console on port 9710 of the new server.

GroupWise always had its own database. Up to and including GW2012 one could get the impression that there's "only eDirectory", but behind the scenes it was ConsoleOne (or NWAdmin before) which did "the magic" of keeping the DBs in sync.

Do you really see no users at all in the GWAdmin Console?

• I don't see users on the GW admin console interface.
    I think I've made a mistake in the configuration phase.
    Now I'm trying again, I'll see what happen.

Fabrizio

• Just to update the post.
    It was an error in the first configuration where the original DB, from GW 2012, has been modified for GW 18.
    I've uploaded the DB again, fortunately, it isn't too big, and I've remade the first configuration of the GW server.

• Do you by now see your users in the GWAdmin Console?

• Yes. The users, in the new GW DB implementation, is populated during GW server configuration.

My main problem is the poor documentation, and I wany migrate from GW 2012 to GW 18, on a new server at the same time. I think is possible.

For now, I've only worked on a test environment, but I think 

• Yes. The users, in the new GW DB implementation, are populated during the GW server configuration.

My main problem is the poor documentation. I want to migrate from GW 2012 to GW 18, on a new server at the same time. I think is possible.

For now, I've only worked in a test environment. It seems working.
    My actual concern is with migration to production.
    I'll cross my fingers.
  • You do not need to cross your fingers.

Please log a preventive Service Request and let me know the number.

I will make sure someone is on hand to assist you should anything go wrong.

Contact detail" Tarik Baki

tarik.baki@microfocus.com

Tel: 31 653233011

This is for EMEA hours coverage.

• This can be done. It's easier if you have GW bound to a dedicated IP address which can be moved over to the new box. If you prefer smaller steps you can also go from 2012 to 2014R2 while still at OES2015, move to the new box and upgrade to GW18 there.

Buona fortuna,

M