Partitioning on SLES 12 for Groupwise 2014

I am preparing a SLES 12 system for GW 2014, which will eventually be upgraded to 2018. I will have an approx. 1 TB drive. The default partitioning for a SLES 12 install puts the bulk of the available space in the Home folder (XFS format). I don't believe this folder is an acceptable location for my Groupwise domain and po folders.

How should I be setting up the partitions? And how is it accomplished using the Expert Partioner option?

Thanks,

Scott

•  

Hi Scott,

You could add a second drive (sdb ?) to your SLES system and dedicate it to GroupWise. This approach makes it easy to attach the drive to a newer version of GroupWise should you choose to, or need to, do a migration rather than an in-place upgrade. You may also get a slight performance improvement with a second drive on its own controller.

• Scott,

As Kevin mentions, two drives would be a better solution.  Hopefully you're virtualized and not doing this with physical hardware...makes it even easier.  My personal preference is to use a 60 GB drive for my OS and then after the install is complete, I add a second drive sized appropriately to hold the GroupWise system.

• I had not planned on doing this as a vm as I am not that familiar with the vm world. Would I be able to use SLES 12 to host a vm for Groupwise? I know SLES 12 can host VM's as I also have SMG running on another server and it was designed for that type of setup.

My initial plan was to do a RAID 10 setup, winding up with about a 1TB drive, then install SLES 12 and Groupwise onto that, which means I do have 4 drives available for use.

Thanks for both yours and Kevin's input.

Scott

• The only reason I mentioned virtualization is that it must makes it easy to carve out some disk space as needed.  All my servers are virtual on top of a 4 node vmware cluster.  If you have a single server that you are installing GroupWise on, then there is no additional benefit in my opinion with adding a virtualization layer.

But when I had physical servers with local storage, I would setup my RAID and then create one partition for my OS and a second partition for my data.  With a single partition, you run the risk of user data filling the drive and giving you grief.  A separate small OS partition can also be checked faster if needed.

• Verified Answer

Hi Scott,

You can certainly add a second physical drive to a physical server and I will work just fine. The issue is that drives come in specific sizes which may be larger than you need and, when you run out of space, expanding the drive can be problematic. Also, especially in a server, you want drive redundancy.

If you were planning to base your storage on a RAID 10 array, you do have other options. Assuming you have a hardware RAID adapter, this is what you would do.

• First you would create your RAID 10 array.
    • Then you would create a virtual drive (LUN?) for SLES and the GroupWise program. Ken suggested about 60GB works for him but it would depend on what other applications you might install on SLES. Let's call this VD1.
    • Next you would create a second virtual drive, also to be seen by SLES, but to be used by GroupWise for its data. This is VD2

Both VD1 and VD2 would be seen by SLES as separate HDDs (sda, & sdb). which is what we meant when we said use a second HDD.

If you don't have a hardware RAID adapter, you can do essentially the same thing using SLES software RAID but the setup is a bit more complicated.

• Thank you Kevin. This solution will work for me. I do have a hardware RAID controller in the server.

Scott