Partitioning on SLES 12 for Groupwise 2014

I am preparing a SLES 12 system for GW 2014, which will eventually be upgraded to 2018. I will have an approx. 1 TB drive. The default partitioning for a SLES 12 install puts the bulk of the available space in the Home folder (XFS format). I don't believe this folder is an acceptable location for my Groupwise domain and po folders.

How should I be setting up the partitions? And how is it accomplished using the Expert Partioner option?

Thanks,

Scott

Parents
  • Scott,

As Kevin mentions, two drives would be a better solution.  Hopefully you're virtualized and not doing this with physical hardware...makes it even easier.  My personal preference is to use a 60 GB drive for my OS and then after the install is complete, I add a second drive sized appropriately to hold the GroupWise system.

• I had not planned on doing this as a vm as I am not that familiar with the vm world. Would I be able to use SLES 12 to host a vm for Groupwise? I know SLES 12 can host VM's as I also have SMG running on another server and it was designed for that type of setup.

My initial plan was to do a RAID 10 setup, winding up with about a 1TB drive, then install SLES 12 and Groupwise onto that, which means I do have 4 drives available for use.

Thanks for both yours and Kevin's input.

Scott

• The only reason I mentioned virtualization is that it must makes it easy to carve out some disk space as needed.  All my servers are virtual on top of a 4 node vmware cluster.  If you have a single server that you are installing GroupWise on, then there is no additional benefit in my opinion with adding a virtualization layer.

But when I had physical servers with local storage, I would setup my RAID and then create one partition for my OS and a second partition for my data.  With a single partition, you run the risk of user data filling the drive and giving you grief.  A separate small OS partition can also be checked faster if needed.

• The only reason I mentioned virtualization is that it must makes it easy to carve out some disk space as needed.  All my servers are virtual on top of a 4 node vmware cluster.  If you have a single server that you are installing GroupWise on, then there is no additional benefit in my opinion with adding a virtualization layer.

But when I had physical servers with local storage, I would setup my RAID and then create one partition for my OS and a second partition for my data.  With a single partition, you run the risk of user data filling the drive and giving you grief.  A separate small OS partition can also be checked faster if needed.

Children
No Data