GMS and Web-Access

Hi,

GMS and GW WebAccess are two services which are mostly used from outside
clients.

I plan to run both services on one host. Because I am a lazy man I ask
here for some expirience from others. Where are the problems, the hooks
and what is the best to go around them?

Bernd

Tags:

  • On 25.07.2018 09:56, nntp-user wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > GMS and GW WebAccess are two services which are mostly used from outside
    > clients.
    >
    > I plan to run both services on one host. Because I am a lazy man I ask
    > here for some expirience from others. Where are the problems, the hooks
    > and what is the best to go around them?
    >
    > Bernd

    The obvious problem is that by default they fight for the same TCP
    Port(s), and using alternate prts is at least inconvenient (Webaccess)
    for the users, and depending on your devices, impossible in GMS (as
    there are devices out there that require standard HTTPS port 443).

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • Am 25.07.2018 um 11:16 schrieb Massimo Rosen:
    > On 25.07.2018 09:56, nntp-user wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> GMS and GW WebAccess are two services which are mostly used from
    >> outside clients.
    >>
    >> I plan to run both services on one host. Because I am a lazy man I ask
    >> here for some expirience from others. Where are the problems, the
    >> hooks and what is the best to go around them?
    >>
    >> Bernd

    > The obvious problem is that by default they fight for the same TCP
    > Port(s), and using alternate prts is at least inconvenient (Webaccess)
    > for the users, and depending on your devices, impossible in GMS (as
    > there are devices out there that require standard HTTPS port 443).


    Yes, Ports can be a problem but I think this can be done by change the
    Web-Mail port (and let the default setting at the GMS because the most
    ignorant 'smart phones' are not configurable ;-) and have links from our
    main web page to Web-Mail or provisioning bookmarks. An other possible
    way is to use a reverse proxy in front of the Web-Mail.

    Do you think that the main applications (GMS and Web-Mail) can be
    installed side by side? Or are there configuration options which do
    overwrite another?

    Bernd
  • On 26.07.2018 13:19, nntp-user wrote:

    >
    > Do you think that the main applications (GMS and Web-Mail) can be
    > installed side by side? Or are there configuration options which do
    > overwrite another?


    It certainly can be done, but besides being unsupported, I would
    *strongly* advice against it. These days, there is hardly a valid reason
    to ever installed two services that fight for the same ressources on the
    same OS.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • In article <IXi6D.599$D87.561@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com>, Massimo
    Rosen wrote:
    > It certainly can be done, but besides being unsupported, I would
    > *strongly* advice against it. These days, there is hardly a valid reason
    > to ever installed two services that fight for the same ressources on the
    > same OS.


    I agree, with the caveat that "These days" assumes virtualized, and even if
    running separate boxes, this one could easily be virtualized to host these
    two services as their own separate guests/containers.


    Andy of
    http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please show
    your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
    GMS troubleshooting tips at http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm