We just upgraded Saturday night to GW 2014 R2 HP1 from GW 2012 SP4. Working through minor issues and things that seem to maybe have changed.
We have 1100 users and get lots of name changes due to marriages and divorces. Our procedure for name changes has always been the following:
1. Have User logout of GW and Notify.
2. Disassociate the GW user from eDirectory user.
3. Rename eDirectory user, also change last name, make sure Full name is correct.
4. Rename GroupWise user.
5. Associate GW user with eDirectory user.
6. Add GW Nickname to user account that matches the old account.
7. Set nickname expiration for 60 days.
8. Send email to new account name and nickname to test both.
User should be be able to receive email at both accounts for up to 60 days.
We probably do 1 of these per month.
We just did one this afternoon, now on GW 2014 R2 HP1. Followed the same exact steps as above. User logs back in to GroupWise with new username, everything fine. We send email to her new account to say it's complete, and send a test email to her old account to make sure nickname is working. She gets both email messages. The one we sent to her nickname comes back "undeliverable to <NICKNAME>, D101 User not on Post Office".
She got lots of feedback from her colleagues as they sent her email to her account with the same thing, all are getting D101 undeliverables, yet she is getting the messages.
I know User Upkeep will run tonight and clear up everyone's frequent contacts and put in the correct address, but we never remember getting these D101's all day until the user upkeep runs.
Is this a new "feature" in 2014 R2? Or do we have a setting incorrect, or step above incorrect? I checked the Admin guide for user rename and for nicknames and I don't think we missed any steps.