prvs= ?

I have users from the same non-GroupWise domain that have the prefix of prvs=(connectioncode)=username@domain.com when they are trying to send an email to my GroupWise (SLES 11 SP3, GroupWise 2014) users. According to the gwia log files, it looks as if these messages never get delivered!(?) I see the connection made in gwia and "Queuing to MTA" but no other lines appear after that for that message including no "File sent".

My GroupWise users say they didn't have this issue until after the upgrade from 2012 sp2 to 2014.
I researched what the "prvs" is but nothing in Novell's GroupWise knowledge-base.
An interesting point is when these non-GroupWise domain users reply to the GroupWise account, it appears to be received (according to one test).

Any info on this?

Thanks!

Stan

Tags:

  • In article <Demaximis.6ftlcn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Demaximis wrote:
    > I have users from the same non-GroupWise domain that have the prefix of
    > prvs=(connectioncode)=username@domain.com when they are trying to send
    > an email to my GroupWise (SLES 11 SP3, GroupWise 2014) users. According
    > to the gwia log files, it looks as if these messages never get
    > delivered!(?) I see the connection made in gwia and "Queuing to MTA"
    > but no other lines appear after that for that message including no "File
    > sent".
    >

    Is that a normal part of their email address? It looks like they've
    chosen to do so doing something called
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Address_Tag_Validation

    A) I'd open an SR with Novell about this as this is a problem they need to
    resolve and that is the best way to kick things forward.
    B) contact the email admin at that domain that their implementation of a
    DRAFT document (it hasn't even made it to RFC level yet) is causing grief
    and can they please turn it off at least for your domain.

    Let us know how this goes.



    Andy of
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • In article <Demaximis.6ftlcn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Demaximis wrote:
    > I have users from the same non-GroupWise domain that have the prefix of
    > prvs=(connectioncode)=username@domain.com when they are trying to send
    > an email to my GroupWise (SLES 11 SP3, GroupWise 2014) users. According
    > to the gwia log files, it looks as if these messages never get
    > delivered!(?) I see the connection made in gwia and "Queuing to MTA"
    > but no other lines appear after that for that message including no "File
    > sent".


    I would suggest setting MTA logging to Verbose? This one sounds like it's
    going to take a bit of time. Opening an SR and be prepared to send
    in the gwia log and the MTA log would be a very good thing. We may even
    need one of these messages captured. Have you checked the problem queue
    of the MTA? Is the message ending up there? Is the message ending up in
    the GWIA problem queue? Let me know if you need help in finding those
    folders within the Domain file structure.
    Is this a single PO system with everything on the say 'box' or if other,
    then by MTA we mean all along the way to the PO(s)


    Andy of
    KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • Hi Andy, thanks for the replies!
    Yes, the domain, post office, everything is on one box - SLES 11 SP3.
    I've noticed this on some other messages in gwia but those have been successfully delivered.
    I have opened an SR for another reason and I'm not sure if it is related other than the upgrade to 2014.
    To SOME external emails, and these are contacts that the users have had for well over a year (if not years), their email address is getting corrupted.
    In the gwia log it shows their email address with two or three weird characters in front of their email address, which ends in a non-delivery.
    I've checked these email addresses in their Frequent Contacts and it appears OK.
    Very troubling since it was one user and has now escallated to four GroupWise users.
    I thought it might be the client and when I had one of them uninstall the 2014 and install the 2012, that troubling user was fixed.
    However, another user who has the same trouble, had not upgraded to the 2014 client yet.

    I haven't done anything with the prvs= yet but I'll start looking at the MTA and GWIA logs for better documentation.

    Thanks again,

    Stan