GW 2014 client is full of glitches

I just upgraded one domain and 2 POs to GW 2014.

Whereas the upgrade processs went smoothly and the new agents are
running fine I have started to test the GW 2014 client and that was
more than a disappointment.

First all - for me - major bugs of the GW2012 client are still there
like:
GW client crashes if you add an attachment via the add attachment
button on the message compose screen

HTML printing of messages without attachment does not print the mail
headers

..
..
..
..



But now a new bug regarding the Find Contacts interface is nagging me:

You can only drag and drop contacts from the find contacts result page
to the subject and the message text field but not to the To, CC, Bc
fields, which is the place where I use to put them. Since you cannot
otherwise copy your search results into an existing message it gets
quite inconvenient to create a new mail and copy the address from that
mail to the mail, where I want to have it.

And the new small calendar items are not really nice for people with
reduced eye-sight.

--
W. Prindl

Tags:

  • On 08/07/2014 19:42, W_ Prindl wrote:

    > I just upgraded one domain and 2 POs to GW 2014.
    >
    > Whereas the upgrade processs went smoothly and the new agents are
    > running fine I have started to test the GW 2014 client and that was
    > more than a disappointment.
    >
    > First all - for me - major bugs of the GW2012 client are still there
    > like:
    > GW client crashes if you add an attachment via the add attachment
    > button on the message compose screen
    >
    > HTML printing of messages without attachment does not print the mail
    > headers
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    >
    >
    > But now a new bug regarding the Find Contacts interface is nagging me:
    >
    > You can only drag and drop contacts from the find contacts result page
    > to the subject and the message text field but not to the To, CC, Bc
    > fields, which is the place where I use to put them. Since you cannot
    > otherwise copy your search results into an existing message it gets
    > quite inconvenient to create a new mail and copy the address from that
    > mail to the mail, where I want to have it.
    >
    > And the new small calendar items are not really nice for people with
    > reduced eye-sight.


    It's possible that some of the above issues are already known and fixed
    in a later build of the client. Which version of the client are you
    using, the one that came with the GW2014 download perhaps (as opposed to
    a later build via an SR)?

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Yes I am using the original build and no FTF via a SR. Maybe time to
    reopen my old SRs and change 2012 to 2014 in them.

    --
    W. Prindl


    Simon Flood wrote:

    >On 08/07/2014 19:42, W_ Prindl wrote:
    >
    >>I just upgraded one domain and 2 POs to GW 2014.
    >>
    >>Whereas the upgrade processs went smoothly and the new agents are
    >>running fine I have started to test the GW 2014 client and that was
    >>more than a disappointment.
    >>
    >>First all - for me - major bugs of the GW2012 client are still
    >>there like:
    >>GW client crashes if you add an attachment via the add attachment
    >>button on the message compose screen
    >>
    >>HTML printing of messages without attachment does not print the mail
    >>headers
    >>
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>But now a new bug regarding the Find Contacts interface is nagging
    >>me:
    >>
    >>You can only drag and drop contacts from the find contacts result
    >>page to the subject and the message text field but not to the To,
    >>CC, Bc fields, which is the place where I use to put them. Since
    >>you cannot otherwise copy your search results into an existing
    >>message it gets quite inconvenient to create a new mail and copy
    >>the address from that mail to the mail, where I want to have it.
    >>
    >>And the new small calendar items are not really nice for people with
    >>reduced eye-sight.

    >
    >It's possible that some of the above issues are already known and
    >fixed in a later build of the client. Which version of the client are
    >you using, the one that came with the GW2014 download perhaps (as
    >opposed to a later build via an SR)?
    >
    >HTH.

  • W_ Prindl wrote:

    > Yes I am using the original build and no FTF via a SR. Maybe time to
    > reopen my old SRs and change 2012 to 2014 in them.


    That's what I'd recommend, or just hold off for 2014 SP1 which should
    be released within the next month or two.

    --
    Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
    BrainShare 2014 is coming. http://www.novell.com/brainshare/
  • In the meantime running build 14.0.1 116708.

    This fixes the add attachment crashes (and another bug I had discovered
    in the meantime) but not the HTML-printing bug (Bug # 791020) and the
    inability to copy contacts from the Find Contacts results page into the
    adress-fields (to, cc, bc).

    --
    W. Prindl


    Joseph Marton wrote:

    >W_ Prindl wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I am using the original build and no FTF via a SR. Maybe time
    >>to reopen my old SRs and change 2012 to 2014 in them.

    >
    >That's what I'd recommend, or just hold off for 2014 SP1 which should
    >be released within the next month or two.

  • Hi Forum,

    Server: novell-groupwise-server-14.0.0-116215
    Client: 116153

    found another glitch: "Items in a shared calendar will not update properly in caching mode if they are edited"

    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=887324

    And another one:
    Sometimes, I guess 2 out of 5 times, the focus of the new mail windows acts weird. I'm able to type my message but if I use my mouse wheel to scroll down the window in the background scrolls down?! We still use windows xp, I can't tell if this behaviour is the same with win7/8...

    Also some times I mark text in the new mail windows with the help of my keyboard. I use strg shift left/right button or shift pos.1/end to mark a whole line an then press backspace for deletion.
    And backspace does not work until I remark the text.

    Does anyone have the same experiences?

    Hope this helps for your decision either to upgrade or not :)

    Cheers,
    Pascal
  • Unfortunately the add attachment crashes are still there. Every second
    time you use the add attachment buttons during composing a mail, the GW
    Client crashes.

    This is now unresolved till GW 2012 was first released.

    The client glitches are the things, which users see in the first
    instance. Problems on the backend are mostly only seen by
    administrators. And nobody at Novell/Attachmate sees any importance in
    removing those bugs.

    But in reality those bugs are killing the product. I cannot imagine
    somebody daring to sell that product to a new customer, whithout
    telling those glitches before the sale (except someone not using it and
    therefore not knowing about them). And it is a real show stopper, if
    you tell people about at least one daily client crash, if they try to
    add an attachment in the most obvous way. All software products have
    bugs and problems, but only very few software vendors need several
    years to eliminate known bugs, which almost every user of the software
    encounters almost daily.

    Therefore all my users are still on the GW 8 client.

    I am only a small shop, but I have seen quite big businesses and state
    organizations, whith several thousands of users, which were using
    Groupwise moving away from Groupwise in the last years.


    --
    W. Prindl


    W_ Prindl wrote:

    >In the meantime running build 14.0.1 116708.
    >
    >This fixes the add attachment crashes (and another bug I had
    >discovered in the meantime) but not the HTML-printing bug (Bug #
    >791020) and the inability to copy contacts from the Find Contacts
    >results page into the adress-fields (to, cc, bc).

  • W_ Prindl wrote:

    > And nobody at Novell/Attachmate sees any importance in
    > removing those bugs.


    Most definitely not true. Please continue reporting bugs via the SR
    process. If you've been given bug numbers, please post them here and I
    will personally check on the status of those bugs.

    --
    Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
    BrainShare 2014 is coming. http://www.novell.com/brainshare/
  • On 26/08/2014 14:26, pbucher wrote:

    > Please please Novell, bring the SP1!


    Now released. Latest Windows Client for GroupWise 2014 is now available
    @ Windows Client Multilingual
    https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=adKLQO6vZjA~

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • They heard me :-)
    Already installed and two of the main problems we had, are solved......