Extra character prefixes email address

Hi there,
We use a program that keeps records of constituents, including their email addresses. When we open the constituent record and click on their email address, it opens GroupWise and creates an outgoing email to that user. The strange thing is that the email address ends up with a single quotation mark in front of the recipient's address. For example if the constituent's email address is user@test.com , it ends up in the outgoing GroupWise email as "user@test.com . Any ideas what might be causing this character to appear? We're using client 14.2.1 .
Thanks!

Tags:

  • On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:36:06 GMT, 86kubicki
    <86kubicki@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

    >
    >Hi there,
    >We use a program that keeps records of constituents, including their
    >email addresses. When we open the constituent record and click on their
    >email address, it opens GroupWise and creates an outgoing email to that
    >user. The strange thing is that the email address ends up with a single
    >quotation mark in front of the recipient's address. For example if the
    >constituent's email address is user@test.com , it ends up in the
    >outgoing GroupWise email as "user@test.com . Any ideas what might be
    >causing this character to appear? We're using client 14.2.1 .
    >Thanks!


    The only time I have seen something like that is when there is a typo
    or mistake in the other program. For example, an HTML page that has a
    mailto link on it, but generates the link incorrectly. I would start
    by looking at the other program. A simple test might be to set your
    default mail client to something other than GroupWise. Click a link
    and see if the other mail client also has the single quotation. Then
    you know it is coming from the other program.

    --
    Ken
    Knowledge Partner

    If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

    Create and vote for enhancements!
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
  • Thanks Ken. Like you, I think the issue is with the other software. This other program and its parent company are very Outlook focused - the support person I talked to there had no idea what GroupWise was. I'll at least suggest that they test with GroupWise - maybe we'll see a fix down the road.
  • On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:46:02 GMT, 86kubicki
    <86kubicki@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

    >
    >Thanks Ken. Like you, I think the issue is with the other software. This
    >other program and its parent company are very Outlook focused - the
    >support person I talked to there had no idea what GroupWise was. I'll at
    >least suggest that they test with GroupWise - maybe we'll see a fix down
    >the road.


    Without more info, it is hard to know what is happening. But if all
    they are doing is causing the default mail client to open with an
    address, then I think the problem would hit any email client, not just
    GroupWise. You still might want to try another email client - maybe
    even with Outlook. If Outlook is all they care about and you can show
    them it affects Outlook, you might get a better response.

    --
    Ken
    Knowledge Partner

    If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

    Create and vote for enhancements!
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
  • I heard back from support:
    "Per our System Requirements for email a MAPI-compliant email system is required."
    They also go on to say that they only support Office for their integrations. That being said, is GW MAPI compliant?
  • In article <86kubicki.7w8bkn@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, 86kubicki
    wrote:
    > "Per our System Requirements for email a MAPI-compliant email system is
    > required."
    > They also go on to say that they only support Office for their
    > integrations. That being said, is GW MAPI compliant?


    Yes GroupWise client is MAPI compliant

    Another test option is Thunderbird. If the problem happens there as well
    but not OutLook, then they are not fully MAPI compliant as they think
    they are.

    Related reading.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support
    that MAPI32.DLL can be a troublesome issue, so watch what version(s) you
    have on a system.


    Andy of
    http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

  • Just a follow up to this thread. I finally got around to installing Thunderbird on a test machine. When the email link opens as a new email in Thunderbird, the address is fine - there is no added quotation mark. Therefore this appears to be a GroupWise issue.